t-handle jacobs chuck

j ferguson

Active User
Registered
I do a lot of hand reaming of 3d printed holes (Plastic) using standard twist drills. I have the usual set of pin vises for the small ones, but could really use a device which looks like a T-Handle tap wrench but has a jacobs chuck the better to grab drills. It looks like these are available for orthopedic surgeons for many $$$. something which would hold 1/8 to 3/8 would do the job. up to 1/2 inch, too.

I've been using a small Vise-Grip for the larger ones, but this marks up the drill shank and is unwieldy.

Does anyone know if there is such a thing available and if so what is it called and where might I get one.

On the other hand maybe this is a good project to make and come up to speed with the threading adaptor on my new Sherline lathe.

How about using a brace? I keep a countersink bit in one of my braces. Better control of depth than a cordless drill.

Braces are easy to find at flea markets, also inexpensive.

some old tap handles were basically a V with a set screw that drove the tap into the V. A small one would probably work, you don't need that much torque unless you're using a wildly different filament than any I have come across.

Another thought.... when tapping 4-40 holes (in the back of AR receivers) I don't have a small enough tap wrench, so I just tighten the tap in a traditional Jacobs chuck with no arbor and use it like a stubby screwdriver. The small diameter requires very little torque so it works nicely.

Another option is make a T handle out of a 1/2in x 20 tpi bolt. Drill close to the head for a T bar, then thread into a 1/2in x 20 tpi chuck. Harbor Freight has such a chuck for around $9

Another option is make a T handle out of a 1/2in x 20 tpi bolt. Drill close to the head for a T bar, then thread into a 1/2in x 20 tpi chuck. Harbor Freight has such a chuck for around $9

Yeah, exactly! :encourage:

Small chucks usually have a 3/8-24 tpi thread. Get a 3/8-24 bolt and weld a T bar to the head. or cross drill for a bar.

Back