tail stock for the indexer

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
This is the working drawing for a little project I need and am making. I built an indexer a short while back and need a tail stock for it. I have all the parts rough sawed and will start machining next. The design is probably not the easiest way to make one, but it is made to utilize all pieces from my scrap box so the tail stock will cost nothing in parts or material to build.

indexer tailstock.jpg The indexer body was made from some aircraft quality aluminum with a steel spindle and index plates. It works well and that aluminum is really tough stuff. It has already proven it can stand up to general machining ( I don't load equipment like this really heavy anyway), so I am using the same materials on the tail stock. The body is made of 1 inch aluminum plate and the support plates holding it are all 1/2 inch aluminum plate. The spindle is 5/8" drill rod and the tip will be hardened. I will have only .750 travel (.375 above or below the desired center height as this unit is dedicated to the indexer so more travel is not needed). the swing on the indexer is 6", so it will also work for my 6" rotary table.

Mark

Finished indexer.jpg In case you haven't seen the indexer thread, this is the completed indexer the tail stock will serve.

indexer tailstock.jpg Finished indexer.jpg

Nice work Mark, using it in your shop it will last a long time, in a very busy job shop with exposure to many other operators/machinists then maybe steel would be better. You should be proud
Patrick

I have started building the tail stock for my indexer. This tail stock will also work on my 6 inch rotary table. The first print is a general work print to let me know what I need to build. The finished project will have some changes along the way. :thinking:

indexer tail stock.jpeggeneral work print

The next two prints are of the parts I am working on now. These prints will "grow" as I add to the part and the final result will be prints of the finished project.

indexer tail stock base.jpeg This is the base unit for the tail stock
indexer tail stock body.jpeg This will be the body for the tail stock

More to come tomorrow

Mark

indexer tail stock.jpeg indexer tail stock base.jpeg indexer tail stock body.jpeg

These are the photos of the parts so far. I forgot to put them in the previous post :dunno:

tail stock parts rough cut.jpg

indexer tail stock base and body.jpg

Mark

tail stock parts rough cut.jpg indexer tail stock base and body.jpg

Lot of progress today. The first thee pictures are the updated prints. I added the work I did today to the prints.

indexer tail stock.jpeg
inexer tail stock base.jpeg
indexer tail stock body.jpeg I made the spindle from .625 drill rod. I bored the body to fit the spindle, cut the slot in the top and installed the clamp bolt to clamp the spindle, and cut the slot to allow up and down adjustment of the body in the base.

I will keep adding to the print as I complete something so I'll end up with a print matching the finished project.

base unit and body assembled.jpg This is the assembly so far
other side of assembly.jpg The other side
tail stock back fly cut.jpg I fly cut the back of the assembly to be flat and perpendicular to the bottom. This allows when changing the height , I can simply hold a 1-2-3 block against the back and the spindle will be level when I tighten the clamping bolt.I adjusted the spindle level before fly cutting using an indicator and my granite surface plate.

Mark

indexer tail stock.jpeg inexer tail stock base.jpeg indexer tail stock body.jpeg base unit and body assembled.jpg other side of assembly.jpg tail stock back fly cut.jpg

Today I made the knob, stud, and cut the groove in the spindle. This is the assembly so far. It will be done soon.

indexer tail stock assembly 3.jpg Yes the knob is oversized. When you get old and your hands crippled with arthritis like me , you need big knobs.

Due to the fact, I don't think there is much interest on this and the fact that it is getting close to done , this thread is closed now. There will be no more posts on it. you got the idea how it is made. I run a concurrent thread on my own site and it will be finished there.

Mark

indexer tail stock assembly 3.jpg

Great looking piece Mark. I really like your ability to set the height of your tail stock instead of shimming it like mine.

Mark,
Keep up the great work. The indexer is a real work of art and the tailstock will be a perfect follow on project especially if you are using your scrap from a previous job to make it. It is extremely important for you to post some in process pics so the rest of us can follow along too. Thanks for showing us your great workmanship and attention to detail!!!

Bob

Well, because I started it , I will finish it up for those interested. The indexer and tail stock are completely finished and ready to go to work.

indexer and tail stock.jpg These two fine pieces of equipment have cost me almost nothing to build. I think I have about $15 in bolts and such. Both items were made from scraps left over from other jobs and pieces from my scrap box. They are mostly aluminum, but heavy duty in size and structure. All important or load bearing parts like centers, spindles and such are steel or drill rod. The indexer tilts from 0 to 90 degrees. I have one 36 hole index plate but am making another that will have 24 holes, 42, and 21 holes. This will cover any bolt circle I will probably ever need.

bronze bearing in spindle.jpg I made a modification to the indexer and installed a bronze bearing washer in the spindle so the steel spindle would not rub on the aluminum hosing. This wasn't needed but just seemed like the thing to do and I had the washer lying around. :whistle:

secured bases.jpg I attached bases to both the indexer and the tail stock. I used plenty of screws. ( yes , there is one missing from the tail stock because I ran out of that screw size.) These units are very sturdy and will handle anything I will throw at them. If they don't I would say I was abusing them.

Now , I need an aluminum bar with a T slot to mount them on, so I can put them on and off the mill as a unit :thinking:

Mark

indexer and tail stock.jpg bronze bearing in spindle.jpg secured bases.jpg

Back