Tailstock taper question on Micro-Mark 7X16 Mini-Lathe

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need to replace the quill and tailstock drill chuck on my Micro-Mark 7X16 (84631) mini-lathe due to scoring. But, I'm a little confused. Micro-Mark claims it to be a MT2 taper. Little Machine Shop thinks it's a 2 Morse Taper Short.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

I had scoring on my MT2 tail stock so I bought a set of MT2&3 taper reamers off eBay and refinished both my tail stock and my headstock. I figured that was much easier and I could refinish them as necessary. Worked perfect. I also now leave one of tailstock accessories in the tailstock at all times to keep schmootz out of it as that’s what usually causes the scoring.

Yeah, that's an option. The quill is cheap though. $33.

I've never used a Morse taper reamer before. How do you use it? Use a tap handle and press and turn?

To do the quill I just chucked up the reamer and pushed the tailstock up and turned the headstock by hand until the quill cleaned up. Then pulled the chuck reveresed for the headstock. I saw no reason to use power. Both cleaned up fairly quickly.

Maybe, I'll give it a try. If it happens again, I can clean it up again. Do you use cutting oil or use it dry?

dry, go about 3-4 turns clean and inspect, repeat. If any lube I’d use WD-40. Tricky part was keeping swarf out of quill.

I had to use a MT2 reamer on a drill press I got from an estate sale that had a lot of galling. I used a wrench on the end while pushing the spindle down, bearing the back of the reamer against a block of wood. That let it self center in the taper, and it runs true as far as my indicator can tell. I used a lot of cutting oil because that's how I learned to use reamers. Same principles as any other reamer I figure, like never run it backwards.

Back