• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

taper turning between centers

irishwoodsman

Active User
when taper turning between centers which is the best way from right to left or left to right or does it depend on job at hand thanks irishwoodsman:biggrin:

Tenn

Active User
I usually feed into the headstock. For a SB 10L lathe this is where the Thrust bearing is taking the load.
I also use a small boring head to do the offset. This way I dont change the tailstock for drilling

Attached is my set up for a B&S#9
Great idea that boring head :thumbzup: Probably want to make sure it's installed parallel with the ways in a horizontal plane as it could throw things off if it's on an angle ? Or does that make a difference Jim B ?? :headscratch:

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium
There are special center drills made for taper turning. They drill a hole shaped like the bell of a bugle instead of just a straight sides 60ยบ hole. That way,the entire hole has contact with the center hole,and not just 2 places of contact,which is what you get with a regular center drill used in a tapered turning operation.

I can't recall if these center drills have a special name or not. You can tell them by just looking at them. You'll see their concave cutting edges.