The future of high power

Bamban

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Just got back from the state high power championship. These two kids, ages 12 and 13, are well disciplined and showing some great potential. We support these kids, just 2 of over two dozens now. These particular two combined have less than 3 years experience. The older ones are outshooting most of the adults. The junior team shooters keep me busy with barrel work, each shoots over 5K rounds a year

Watch "TX Juniors 200 Rapid Fire 2017 State Championship" on YouTube

For the next batch of barrels I will be using a couple of Rex AAAs cutting bits donated by Mickey. Hopefully, we could save some money from buying carbide indexable carbide cutters. Any money saved goes to the ammo funds.

Just want to openly acknowledge Mickey for his support.

For you gunsmiths out there, here is a plug for Shilen Barrels. They donate the barrels to the juniors and I do the barreling work for free. Another plug is for Sierra, they donate Ks of blems for our kids.

You never said how the last barrels turned out as you were having problems with the threading on the lathe. (another thread), they may not have been for the Juniors but still like to know. Still need to make it up for a while one week end.

You never said how the last barrels turned out as you were having problems with the threading on the lathe. (another thread), they may not have been for the Juniors but still like to know. Still need to make it up for a while one week end.

I have not re-started the work even though the threading issue has been understood.

Bamban, thanks for the video, I get excited to see 'kids' enjoying the shooting sports like I did.
It is also nice to know that the sport is thriving in some places when it has all but dried up in other spots.
Must be fun to do the barrel work!

Bamban, thanks for the video, I get excited to see 'kids' enjoying the shooting sports like I did.
It is also nice to know that the sport is thriving in some places when it has all but dried up in other spots.
Must be fun to do the barrel work!

I am not in barreling business, I just do it for my use, for the kids and select friends. It is indeed rewarding to see the barrels I did in the hands of these young competitors. Our top shooters are two young ladies, ages 17 and 19. In May this year the younger one set a junior shooter national record for shooting the highest score in a no sighting shot match across the course, 200, 300, and 600 yards. She shot 498/500.

Here is the last batch I did in January. Noticed the shorter one? I missed the numbers on that one when I got interrupted and I doubled my finishing pass. I had to cut it short and turned a new gas block area from the main section and as well as took some weight off. It should serve the younger, and smaller shooters well

20170128_235154.jpg

Last edited:
We have several good juniors at our club here in New Jersey . One of our kids is now on the shooting circuit he's done real well at the Olympics too. My trap shooting buddy was his rifle instructor . When he won at the Olympics he thanked Ed Shea for helping him get there.
Nothing made all of us as proud as that.
I too thanked Dave R. Boyd for his help in getting me to the grand American Trap shoot. Five years I went , three years I came home with trophys. And making the All American Team .

Silverbullet,

Making any of the National Teams is a great accomplishment, not very many people can make that claim. Making the Olympics is the pinnacle of any sport, and to win is the icing, Congratulations to the shooter.

Last edited:
As you said they average 5,000 rounds of practise. When I was competitive shooting I averaged 35,000 rounds practise and 15- 20 ,000 registered per year. To be picked for the team was my fifteen minutes of fame. To be number 7 in the world at that time is unheard of for a guy like me. In fact when the paperwork came I didn't believe it . I contacted our state trap committee before I even showed or told anyone. I thought it was a joke so cruel it would have been. But I earned it shooting and winning in several state shoots. And many big shoots. I have so many trophys there all over . I even gave one to a sponsor who help pay for the room and other expenses. Now the costs to just shoot the grand in Sparta ill. Would be between $6,- $8,000 just the costs.

Back