Threading at 400 RPM

JimSchroeder

Active User
Registered
For the past several months I have been working on a project with the objective of designing and implementing a threading clutch on my Grizzly lathe. I have now finished the installation and testing of the final version and thought it might be of some interest to others.

The concept is that you place a transmission between the spindle drive gear and the next gear in the train. The transmission functions as an idler so it does not change any gear ratios. The transmission in turn controls the gear train leading up to the gear box and can turn the lead screw in either the forward (towards the headstock) or reverse direction. The gear can shift between forward, neutral, and reverse and this shift can be generated by the position of the carriage. The carriage has a stop arm that engages an adjustable stop that is on a trip rod that is linked to the gear box.

To see it in action here is a link to a short video showing the threading of a 1/2 x 20 thread.

https://vimeo.com/84476330

Here are a couple of photos of the finished threads and of the gear box.

P1010488.jpg
I have a grade 8 nut to test the thread clearance.

P1010490.jpg
Here is a picture of the transmission with the shift handle protruding out the front.

After extensive testing I am convinced that threading on the lathe at speeds in the 300-500 RPM range results in a much cleaner thread. This is the easiest threading that I have ever done. I got into this because I was chipping and breaking carbide inserts when threading slower speeds. Using inserts required a landing groove else they would weld to the material and then chip. This solves that problem.

Regards,
Jim

P1010488.jpg P1010490.jpg

Wow, when you innovate you don't fool around. I like the way that it comes up to the end of the thread and stops dead. At that rpm you are getting a really nice finish. It would be worth selling it to Griz. as an accessory - who wouldn't want it?
Congratulations,
Michael

Awesome mod. I sure would like to see what's going on in that gear train when it's in operation.

Really nice, Jim. Great work. That is so handy to have!

I've been mulling-over an idea of my own for this and have designed it all but haven't gotten around to building it. Anyhow, you've got a very nice solution and I hope it serves you well.

Ray

Thanks for posting this Jim!
While I was in England, in March I had a friend there pickup the book that detailed this build just for this project. I am glad that you posted a video that shows the operation so clearly. It is high on my list, and now it is higher.
Pierre

Thats a very nice mod!
.....The concept is that you place a transmission between the spindle drive gear and the next gear in the train. ....

Jim What, or how does the transmission incorporate so as not to lose the relationship between spindle and leadscrew position?

Cheers Phil

It uses a single point dog clutch. Therefore it always picks up at the same place on the gears and is never out of time.
Pierre

Back