Three Is Not Always A Charm.

Looking at the photos, it seems they cut the 8" round from a piece of 1.5" plate that wasn't. Why, is anyone's guess but photo #1 & #2 it seems that your calipers are placed by a start hole of a plasma/laser/waterjet cutting operation. Maybe it's just a dinged up piece of round. Without a photo showing the saw cut that's just a guess and .071" in plate not listed as precision fits mill tolerances today which run on the lean side of stated thickness. With that said, most cut to length supply houses don't use a measuring tape and rely on the cnc readout on the saw. It does seem to be a lot of effort on their part in an attempt to save .050"

Last edited:
Speechless. There are no words for this level of incompetence.

You do this for a living I take it. Did you not take into consideration that a percentage of the blanks were going to be short or long when you quoted the work?

Not for a living, just side work I get from some larger shops that off load smaller jobs.

As I stated in my original post. The companies published policy is -0, +.125 on cuts under 12". The general manager and and customer service rep both agreed it never should have been sent short.

Back