Tig Welder

Thanks for asking the question. At the moment I have no use for the info. But I like knowledge & I learned something.

I'd be hesitant to actually do that. Main reason being that the 230 tap for the fan is likely to be a few gauges small to use as the input for the primary. Compare it to the incoming wires for the specified 460. I'd think much smaller.

Have you talked to Miller about this? If you get to the right person they can be very helpful. From looking at the parts list it appears that there is a different transformer part number for each voltage. On the other hand, it appears there is a 23o volt winding for the fan motor that would give the correct turns ratio for 230 volt input. Obviously the fan motor leads would not have the gauge to power the welder, but if that winding is in fact a segment of the main primary winding, and there is access to it at both ends, you might be able to do something--such as use it for a "center tap" and run two sections of the primary in parallel as one does with a dual voltage motor. Obviously don't mess with something like this unless you know exactly what you are doing at all times (!) One would need the winding data sheets from Miller, or to strip the transformer down, to really know what's what.

I'd be hesitant to actually do that. Main reason being that the 230 tap for the fan is likely to be a few gauges small to use as the input for the primary. Compare it to the incoming wires for the specified 460. I'd think much smaller.
Now, having done a post, I see this issue already addressed. Sorry about that.

20160206_130544.jpg 20160206_130555.jpg 20160206_130606.jpg 20160206_130619.jpg Ok I finally had some time in the shop to work on this. I cut the end off of the 230 tap on the coil, I found that there is 2 wires coming from the coil. I used my multimeter and it appears that the main 460 coil is made up of 2 separate coils joined in the "center" at the 230 tap. If this is correct could I connect the 2 coils up in parallel? I would then have a coil that winds on top of the other coil. As it came from miller the 2 coils are wired in series making the whole thing 460.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, I can't see your pics except as the thumbnails.

If you have access to the center tap at the full gauge of the primary winding, there is a very good chance that you can run the two windings in parallel and be fine. It could be that the leads from the terminal block to the switch and then to the primary winding were sized for 460 and would be undersized for 230, so this is something to check.

Back