• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Tool and cutter grinder build

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ogberi

Active User
This will make for a good evening read tonight. Many thanks for sharing with us!

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
It is a pleasure watching your builds, Very informative, and sometime you keep us entertained. Although it seems your dog may not agree.
WP_20150405_12_04_41_Pro.jpg Peaches does not like the grinder and will be glad to see it leave her room

kvt

Active User
Hey I had one of those once, (or at least the wife did), It was stubborn one, It even thought it could take on a moose while I was stationed in Alaska.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hey I had one of those once, (or at least the wife did), It was stubborn one, It even thought it could take on a moose while I was stationed in Alaska.
Yea, they are like that. Peaches thinks she's the baddest dog in town

Bill Gruby

Global Moderator
Staff member
You probably know this already but it bears repeating for others.

If the pulleys are the same diameter it's 2X center to center of the pulleys plus the circumference of one pulley to get the belt size. Different sizes it's 2X center to center of the pulleys plus half the circumference of each pulley added together.

"Billy G"

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
OK .... al you guys wanted to know about my dial stamping and graduations. Well here i t is. I don't know where it should be posted, but I will include it here

Attachments

Kennlindeman

Steam crazy
Hi Mark
All the way from Cape Town South Africa. Been following you build from the being and have really enjoyed following your progress, Although I really want to build one it is on my bucket list as i am building two 5 inch gauge steam locos. I have decide to build the drill sharpener you showed a while back. I found the magazines the build was in and have redrawn the grinder. I am going to convert the drawings to metric to make it easier for me and hope to do a write up similar to what you have done
May you have great pleasure with your new toy
Kenn

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Hi Mark
All the way from Cape Town South Africa. Been following you build from the being and have really enjoyed following your progress, Although I really want to build one it is on my bucket list as i am building two 5 inch gauge steam locos. I have decide to build the drill sharpener you showed a while back. I found the magazines the build was in and have redrawn the grinder. I am going to convert the drawings to metric to make it easier for me and hope to do a write up similar to what you have done
May you have great pleasure with your new toy
Kenn
Kenn,

Thank you. You will really like that drill grinder. Post pictures when it is done

Mark Frazier

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Are we there yet ????? :encourage::encourage:

"Billy G"
Wellll....:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: .... I think we are close enough to say yes. I still have to make the belt guard and a couple of adapters for tools , but other than that it runs and everything seems good.

I still have to get another belt. this one just seems to tight. The motor has plenty enough power to grind. you can stall it but nothing should be ground that hard on this grinder. I would say it has as much power as my 1/3 hp bench grinder when running, but it lacks starting torque. If I drop the belt to the smaller hub of the pulley, it will take right off, but there is 1 1/2" of stretch when on both pulleys and it seems to put enough tension on the system, I have to kick start it. I am convinced a belt with 3/4 to 1 inch of stretch will solve all the problems. This motor has a capacitor in series with the start winding and they are in parallel with the run winding. I remember from my motor winding days, this was how fan motors were run and they lack a lot of starting torque.

Other than that , I am really pleased with the outcome of this project.

My friend is coming over in the morning and we are going to load it in my car and take it to visit another friend that wants to see it. he runs a high end specialty machine and fabrication shop dealing with high end parts for race cars, sprint cars and makes components for other companies. ( he is a good guy to be friends with, has EVERYTHING). He specifically called and asked us to bring it by when done.

I will take some photos tomorrow and post them.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Here are the photos of the finished grinder. I still have to make the belt cover and the brass degree scale for the work head and the pointer for the column dial, but that is about it. the materials are ordered for the guard and scale.
Now, I have to make adapters to grind tooling that does not fit the 5C collets, but I will make those as needed and post it here. I will also be working on a user manual over time.
tool grinder 102.jpg
tool grinder 101.jpg
Work head100.jpg
work head 101.jpg tool grinder 100.jpg
tool holder dial2.jpg
Table dial.jpg
elevation dial.jpg micrometer.jpg

sgisler

Active User
That is REALLY impressive! I have enjoyed watching you build it. Thanks for all the effort spend documenting the process for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Thank you all for watching and the encouragement.

I have kind of kept track of the time and there are close to 450 hours to do the build. Thanks to some friends who helped a little with material and my scrap box I stayed close to an estimated budget of around $350 to $400. I am pleased with the results and I WOULD do it again.

roadie33

Active User
Mark,
What is this "Drill Grinder" Kenn is talking about?
What issue was it in you used for the build?

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
it is the best drill grinder you could want and not to difficult to build. It grinds 4 facet points on the drills instead of a conical grind and makes a precision drill bit. Some one posted earlier that the plans were in the January issue of one of the magazines ( look in earlier posts). I don't know. I got most of the info from the inventors web site gadgetbuilder.com

Check post 309 and 325 in this thread

Last edited:

Kennlindeman

Steam crazy
The drill grinders was in the Home Shop Machinist Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr 2012. I have scanned in the first part if anybody wants a copy.

Billh50

Active User
I have both issues. The March issue is almost impossible to find now.

Billh50

Active User
I have both issues. The March issue is almost impossible to find now.

sgisler

Active User
The drill grinders was in the Home Shop Machinist Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr 2012. I have scanned in the first part if anybody wants a copy.
I would be interested [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kennlindeman

Steam crazy
Some interesting info on this project is that you started this blog on the 11 Jan and Saturday would be 3 months. I think by most of our builds that is a very impressive time frame to complete a project like this

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Even though I built this , I would like to get a copy ( I just might build another one )

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
I discovered I needed a wrench to reach and tighten the collet nut on the grinder spindle. The wheel guard is a little in the way so I made a small wrench out of a piece of 2" wide and 6" long piece of steel flat stock 1/8" thick. I works perfect.
collet wrench.jpg Now to give it a coat of the black wrinkle finish to match the grinder.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Some interesting info on this project is that you started this blog on the 11 Jan and Saturday would be 3 months. I think by most of our builds that is a very impressive time frame to complete a project like this
I don't really know what to say about that.... I never was one to dawdle ....... I get going on something and really enjoy the process and work hard at it...... but when completion is at hand , I get anxious because I will be done and have to find something else to start. I been like that my whole life.
But this was the largest and most complex machining project I have ever done.

chips&more

Active User
Is it too pretty to use? Or are you going to make some sparks and show us that it works as good as it looks…Dave.

mark_f

Global Moderator
Staff member
Is it too pretty to use? Or are you going to make some sparks and show us that it works as good as it looks…Dave.
Oh no.... I am going to use this grinder. My equipment gets used. ... I can't understand how some can build a showpiece of equipment and not use it cause it may get dirty. I build functional tools. I am working on making square tool holders for lathe bits. I ain't paying thirty dollars apiece for square 5c collets. I got a plan to make them for free.
:grin:

My drill grinder is really pretty but it has sharpened over 200 drills since it was built ( I do clean it good when done)

machinistmarty

Manual Machinist
I am very intersested in the square tool holder. We use 2j collets at work and there getting very rare.

machinistmarty

Manual Machinist
You may like this Mark, I made some collet holders for the 2j. Made a hex and a square. They work great. Anyways, Found myself needing to cut a fairly precise angle on a piece of round stock one day. I drilled and reamed two 1/4 inch holes, 2 1/2 inches apart in the square block. And with 2 very good fitting pieces of drill rod, I had myself a collet block with built in sine bar. It works great. Sometimes I just use it as a sine bar. Redneck ingenuity lol

[6]
[5] [7]