Tool and cutter grinder build

This will make for a good evening read tonight. Many thanks for sharing with us!

It is a pleasure watching your builds, Very informative, and sometime you keep us entertained. Although it seems your dog may not agree.

WP_20150405_12_04_41_Pro.jpg Peaches does not like the grinder and will be glad to see it leave her room

Hey I had one of those once, (or at least the wife did), It was stubborn one, It even thought it could take on a moose while I was stationed in Alaska.

Hey I had one of those once, (or at least the wife did), It was stubborn one, It even thought it could take on a moose while I was stationed in Alaska.

Yea, they are like that. Peaches thinks she's the baddest dog in town

You probably know this already but it bears repeating for others.

If the pulleys are the same diameter it's 2X center to center of the pulleys plus the circumference of one pulley to get the belt size. Different sizes it's 2X center to center of the pulleys plus half the circumference of each pulley added together.

"Billy G"

OK .... al you guys wanted to know about my dial stamping and graduations. Well here i t is. I don't know where it should be posted, but I will include it here

Attachments

• dial graduations.pdf
    624 KB · Views: 121
Hi Mark
All the way from Cape Town South Africa. Been following you build from the being and have really enjoyed following your progress, Although I really want to build one it is on my bucket list as i am building two 5 inch gauge steam locos. I have decide to build the drill sharpener you showed a while back. I found the magazines the build was in and have redrawn the grinder. I am going to convert the drawings to metric to make it easier for me and hope to do a write up similar to what you have done
May you have great pleasure with your new toy
Kenn

Hi Mark
All the way from Cape Town South Africa. Been following you build from the being and have really enjoyed following your progress, Although I really want to build one it is on my bucket list as i am building two 5 inch gauge steam locos. I have decide to build the drill sharpener you showed a while back. I found the magazines the build was in and have redrawn the grinder. I am going to convert the drawings to metric to make it easier for me and hope to do a write up similar to what you have done
May you have great pleasure with your new toy
Kenn
Kenn,

Thank you. You will really like that drill grinder. Post pictures when it is done

Mark Frazier

Are we there yet ????? :encourage::encourage:

"Billy G"

Wellll....:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: .... I think we are close enough to say yes. I still have to make the belt guard and a couple of adapters for tools , but other than that it runs and everything seems good.

I still have to get another belt. this one just seems to tight. The motor has plenty enough power to grind. you can stall it but nothing should be ground that hard on this grinder. I would say it has as much power as my 1/3 hp bench grinder when running, but it lacks starting torque. If I drop the belt to the smaller hub of the pulley, it will take right off, but there is 1 1/2" of stretch when on both pulleys and it seems to put enough tension on the system, I have to kick start it. I am convinced a belt with 3/4 to 1 inch of stretch will solve all the problems. This motor has a capacitor in series with the start winding and they are in parallel with the run winding. I remember from my motor winding days, this was how fan motors were run and they lack a lot of starting torque.

Other than that , I am really pleased with the outcome of this project.

My friend is coming over in the morning and we are going to load it in my car and take it to visit another friend that wants to see it. he runs a high end specialty machine and fabrication shop dealing with high end parts for race cars, sprint cars and makes components for other companies. ( he is a good guy to be friends with, has EVERYTHING). He specifically called and asked us to bring it by when done.

I will take some photos tomorrow and post them.

Back