Tool and cutter grinder build

Here are the photos of the finished grinder. I still have to make the belt cover and the brass degree scale for the work head and the pointer for the column dial, but that is about it. the materials are ordered for the guard and scale.
Now, I have to make adapters to grind tooling that does not fit the 5C collets, but I will make those as needed and post it here. I will also be working on a user manual over time.
tool grinder 102.jpg
tool grinder 101.jpg
Work head100.jpg
work head 101.jpg tool grinder 100.jpg
tool holder dial2.jpg
Table dial.jpg
elevation dial.jpg micrometer.jpg

That is REALLY impressive! I have enjoyed watching you build it. Thanks for all the effort spend documenting the process for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for watching and the encouragement.

I have kind of kept track of the time and there are close to 450 hours to do the build. Thanks to some friends who helped a little with material and my scrap box I stayed close to an estimated budget of around $350 to $400. I am pleased with the results and I WOULD do it again.

Mark,
What is this "Drill Grinder" Kenn is talking about?
What issue was it in you used for the build?

it is the best drill grinder you could want and not to difficult to build. It grinds 4 facet points on the drills instead of a conical grind and makes a precision drill bit. Some one posted earlier that the plans were in the January issue of one of the magazines ( look in earlier posts). I don't know. I got most of the info from the inventors web site gadgetbuilder.com

Check post 309 and 325 in this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
The drill grinders was in the Home Shop Machinist Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr 2012. I have scanned in the first part if anybody wants a copy.

I have both issues. The March issue is almost impossible to find now.

I have both issues. The March issue is almost impossible to find now.

The drill grinders was in the Home Shop Machinist Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr 2012. I have scanned in the first part if anybody wants a copy.
I would be interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some interesting info on this project is that you started this blog on the 11 Jan and Saturday would be 3 months. I think by most of our builds that is a very impressive time frame to complete a project like this

Back