Tool and cutter grinder build

The drill grinders was in the Home Shop Machinist Jan/Feb and Mar/Apr 2012. I have scanned in the first part if anybody wants a copy.
Even though I built this , I would like to get a copy ( I just might build another one )

I discovered I needed a wrench to reach and tighten the collet nut on the grinder spindle. The wheel guard is a little in the way so I made a small wrench out of a piece of 2" wide and 6" long piece of steel flat stock 1/8" thick. I works perfect.
collet wrench.jpg Now to give it a coat of the black wrinkle finish to match the grinder.

Some interesting info on this project is that you started this blog on the 11 Jan and Saturday would be 3 months. I think by most of our builds that is a very impressive time frame to complete a project like this

I don't really know what to say about that.... I never was one to dawdle ....... I get going on something and really enjoy the process and work hard at it...... but when completion is at hand , I get anxious because I will be done and have to find something else to start. I been like that my whole life.
But this was the largest and most complex machining project I have ever done.

Is it too pretty to use? Or are you going to make some sparks and show us that it works as good as it looks…Dave.

Is it too pretty to use? Or are you going to make some sparks and show us that it works as good as it looks…Dave.
Oh no.... I am going to use this grinder. My equipment gets used. ... I can't understand how some can build a showpiece of equipment and not use it cause it may get dirty. I build functional tools. I am working on making square tool holders for lathe bits. I ain't paying thirty dollars apiece for square 5c collets. I got a plan to make them for free.
:grin:

My drill grinder is really pretty but it has sharpened over 200 drills since it was built ( I do clean it good when done)

Very impressive Mark. Not only functional but also artistic.

Greg

I am very intersested in the square tool holder. We use 2j collets at work and there getting very rare.

You may like this Mark, I made some collet holders for the 2j. Made a hex and a square. They work great. Anyways, Found myself needing to cut a fairly precise angle on a piece of round stock one day. I drilled and reamed two 1/4 inch holes, 2 1/2 inches apart in the square block. And with 2 very good fitting pieces of drill rod, I had myself a collet block with built in sine bar. It works great. Sometimes I just use it as a sine bar. Redneck ingenuity lol

Back