Tool and Die Apprenticeship.

tumaz04

Registered
Registered
Hi, fng here. Not only in this forum, but in any shop. This will be my 1st post, so thanks for reading.

I have an opportunity to become a tool and die apprentice, my interview is this coming Friday. I was wondering what sort of questions I should be asking, specifically about the apprenticeship? Also, what can I expect? I've taken 1 year of manual lathe and mill, and no experience with cnc. I have another interview for a machinist position tomorrow, so I'm really excited to get the ball rolling with my career on that. From what I've researched, tool and die seems to be my jam. I don't want to be in production work, being bored, doing the same stuff every day. Not my thing! Sure it's a job, but not where I see myself 4 years down the road. So I'm leaning towards t&d. So just to recap, what should I expect from the interview, t&d and also just the plain machinist position? And what questions should I be asking pertaining to the apprenticeship. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even with an apprenticeship your going to need experience running all kinds of machines. Or not with CNC things may be different now. But I worked in several shops about two years in each. And I wouldn't change a thing or job I had. One job I turned square and rectangle aluminum frames for micro circuit screen plating. I ran two LATHES and drill press plus deburred them. All at the same time , set up turn and cut both sides then deburr and then drill and tap 12 holes. They keep YA hoping . Another I worked at made valves all kids ends and sizes running turret LATHES most big ones Warner & Swazey they will build your muscles for sure. But they also teach you how to do each part of the machining and how to set up to do it at times the lathe will be cutting in 2-3 places at the same time turning , drilling , parting taping or threading . But almost never just one operation. Another shop I went to was pure grunt work when I started there it was to run the turret LATHE and bore holes in flanges with core drills and do drilling and tapping with big radial arm drills. But after awhile they started putting me on hand broaching keyways for hours at a time that wore on me I only lasted a year and I felt they were abusing my abilities so I left. The next job was great great big steel mill repairs . Bearing blocks 4' square , rollers with weld build up to be reworked a real good job shop . We had 72 hour working weeks , but they rigged the pay so you made your base rate after two years I started to look and moved on to a $2.00 raise per hour and only 45 hour weeks. I made Forman in that shop in three months after starting . But I was learning all the time even doing the hand broaching I was learning.
I don't know what will be in store for you or even expected , but keep your mind and eyes open ask questions but don't be a pita. Work hard do you night schooling for the apprenticeship study the books . Knowledge is power , but real knowledge doesn't all come from books.

Added , real knowledge comes from working with the materials used. Half the knowledge I would even say the material properties, the other half the knowledge for machine properties. Then experience comes with the years.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

Are you teachable/trainable? That is probably one of the biggest things they are looking for.
Most likely your interview will be behavioral based with little or no technical questions.
If this is a small ma & pa shop then that may be different. Lots of info on the net about STAR interviews.

Are you teachable/trainable? That is probably one of the biggest things they are looking for.
Most likely your interview will be behavioral based with little or no technical questions.
If this is a small ma & pa shop then that may be different. Lots of info on the net about STAR interviews.
I'm very teachable. Otherwise I don't think my instructor in college would have passed me, lol. I was hitting my numbers on my projects within half a thousandths and I never even knew what machining was before I signed up, never ran a lathe or mill. I love running manual, not sure what cnc will be like, same concept I'm sure, besides having to learn code and push buttons. But anyways, yes I'm very eager to learn, like a little 2 year old running around say "what's that? What's this do?" lol, sorry I have a 2 year old . I know t&d guys run machines, all different varieties, and that's where I think I would learn the most, instead of just being in a shop running a mill or a lathe. I'd like to learn welding, edm etc, and that's where I think t&d would help me.

Side not real quick. You think I should go into the interviews clean shaven? I only ask because #1 I hate shaving and #2 It's not like I'm gonna be in customer service. Also would wearing carhartt pants with boots and a plain t-shirt be ok? It's all I have.

What kind of questions should I be asking pertaining to the apprenticeship for t&d? The guy said I would be getting paid about & 12-14 an hr and then it would double when I get my journeymans card. Should I ask about pay raises every 6 month to a year? Also, I have 2 other job interviews, non t&d, just machining positions, what's the normal pay rate for an fng with just basic knowledge?

What's a pita?

Thanks.

Oh and the t&d company is not small, but their t&d team is only about 11 people, sounds like a special squad or something.

Tool and Die generally work in the "tool room'" although the last place I worked called it the "Specialty Shop." in addition to tooling (most of our work) we also did occasional one-off production items. The company was and still is one of two or three world leaders in Gas Compression machines, there were four tool makers on days and one on nights, with a couple of set up men on each shift. Set up were experienced machinists who assisted production personell in setting up new processes.

Side not real quick. You think I should go into the interviews clean shaven? I only ask because #1 I hate shaving and #2 It's not like I'm gonna be in customer service. Also would wearing carhartt pants with boots and a plain t-shirt be ok? It's all I have.

Normally dressing for the job is appropriate for an interview. In this case, work boots, Carharts, and a T shirt would be fine. That's what you will be wearing to work. Neatly trimmed facial hair should be fine.

What kind of questions should I be asking pertaining to the apprenticeship for t&d? The guy said I would be getting paid about & 12-14 an hr and then it would double when I get my journeymans card. Should I ask about pay raises every 6 month to a year? Also, I have 2 other job interviews, non t&d, just machining positions, what's the normal pay rate for an fng with just basic knowledge?

As far as what questions to ask, I really can't think of any. Go for the T&D program if you can. You will learn a lot more and will learn on-the-fly problem solving. Running a 1000 of the same part would drive me nuts. Problem solving is the fun part for me, the machining portion of T&D work is just a task. But it's really fun to create something new. I've been doing it for about 45 years.

Asking about the pay increases over time is appropriate for an apprentice program, normally there is a fixed schedule. I would not even concider a production machinist position, but that is just me. Pay rate could be as low as $12 and up depending on the job and your experience. At this stage in your career the pay is the least of your concerns, the experience in the shop is much more valuable.

What's a pita?

Pain In The A$$

Ask how many will be hired.
When they will make a decision.
What they like about their jobs.
Ask about tasks and checkoffs in your apprentice book. If you can advance by time or tasks completed.

Be prepared to answer:
Why do you think you have an aptitude and interest in this type of work?
Why you would like to work for them?
Why you are interesting in this career?
What's important in working in a team?
What you hope to learn?
Where you'd like to be in 5 years?
How you feel about safety rules and regulations?
Give me an example of your ability to be innovative and creative.
What do you think about quality and continuous improvement?

Answer their questions and then ask yours, never leave an interview without asking questions. Never say, "you've told me enough". Demonstrate your listening skills, take a note or two if you like, and then ask questions within the context of the discussion to get more information. Reverse the questions above if you like.
What is the aptitude and interest of your employees in there work here?
Why do your employees like working here
Why do your employees like their career opportunities here
How are your employees encouraged to work in a team here
What do your employees have to opportunity to learn here
What could a great employee achieve in 5 years here
What is your turnover rate here and why?
Ask them about their employee involvement and safety programs. Ask them about their safety performance.
Do you have a continuous improvement program?

Fresh groomed in the clothing appropriate for the job is the way to show up for the interview.

Back