Tool post suggestions for 10" Logan ward

Welcome to the forum. We love to help people spend their money on tooling.

Since you are a machinist student why don't you make a Norman style QCTP. Fraction of the cost and you will gain lots of experience making the post and the holders. Lots of members on here have made them. Not hard to make. That's what I did. They can be made without a mill. All you need is a lathe and a drill.

The Logan compound just sits a bit higher for some reason. I solved the problem by putting a solid plinth on the lathe
which is slightly (about .100") shorter. It's on the lathe most of the time, and only use the compound when I need it. It's more rigid as
well, and nicer to work around.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a plinth and how did that help your tool holder placement?

IMG_1320.jpeg

"Plinth" is the term some folks use to describe a solid steel or aluminum block that's used to replace the compound. The main reason
they're used is to improve rigidity, usually on smaller lathes. In my case, I also made the height of the block lower than the height of
of the compound which moved the QCTP down, making it possible to use 1/2" tools. I also like working around it: no chance
of bumping into the handle on the compound just before the last pass on a part! This one was turned from a lump of 1144 steel.

I concur with sticking with the AXA instead of BXA and normally using 3/8" cutters. For some reason, 1/2" tooling is more expensive than the 1/8" would justify.

One thing I will add is that starting out with only what comes with the typical set (only one 101 and one 102 holder) is not much better than the lantern type tool post. I would recommend a minimum of five 101's and two 102's. That way you can preset all of your commonly used cutters and really get the benefit of the quick change. At last count, I think that I had about a dozen 101's, most with an already adjusted cutter in them.

Bumping this one back up to the top...

Is it reasonable to use an OXA post and holders? I have a setup from LMS with a bunch of extra holders on my existing 7x10 mini. Having recently acquired a '41 Logan Wards, I have a bit of restoration to do and some change gears to buy. I'd rather put the money into the gears right now and work around the smaller (but still capable?) OXA, but if that's just not a good plan I'll see about selling it all off.

Is it reasonable to use an OXA post and holders? I have a setup from LMS with a bunch of extra holders on my existing 7x10 mini. Having recently acquired a '41 Logan Wards, I have a bit of restoration to do and some change gears to buy. I'd rather put the money into the gears right now and work around the smaller (but still capable?) OXA, but if that's just not a good plan I'll see about selling it all off.
OXA units are often made from aluminum- this is not good for rigidity
the OXA performs just ok on small lathes, but i believe you'll have better use by going AXA

Gotcha. I was only considering the size and what kind of plinth or platform I'd have to make. I didn't even consider this, so thanks for pointing it out!

I have often thought and sometimes said that there are only two groups of people who would insist on putting a BXA QCTP on a normal 12" or smaller lathe - those who make the mistake and admit it and those who make the mistake but won't admit it.

Also, the AXA is intended to normally use 3/8" cutters. Most will just hold a 1/2" square one but if you insist on buying 1/2" ones, thinking that they will work better, you will just be wasting your money. For some reason, there is usually a larger than you might expect price difference.

Look into having gears printed on a 3D printer.
I have a Transponding (127/100) gear printed on a 3D printer for my SB9, works fine and is quiet.

My Logan 820 is a 10"; it also found me with only the lantern holder. MIkey recommended the PM AXA QCTP and 3//8" tool holder set, and it's never failed me. On sale now for $179, too. I've filled in with 3/8" holders from a variety of sales, usually allindustrial, since. And yes, since I didn't have a mill, or a working lathe until the t-nut was sized correctly, someone here made it for me.
Tim

Back