Tore Down The Head Stock On My 10l How Do These Bearings Look?

catskinner

Registered
Registered
This lathe hasn't run in over 40 years but seems to be tight and not much wear on the ways.

There are some gouges in the bearings, was wondering if these are acceptable.

lathe 001.JPG lathe 004.JPG lathe 007.JPG lathe 009.JPG lathe 010.JPG

were you able to determine the spindle deflection when it was assembled?
if not was there noticeable slop when you extracted the spindle?
were there brass shims present when you took the caps off?

The lathe was partially disassembled when I started the rebuild so I couldn't check out the deflection. It seemed fairly tight as I was beginning the tear down of the headstock.

If the spindle looks good no problem, take a spoon scraper and put some oil pockets in the plain bearings, reassemble and shim for the proper lift, it will work ok

Hey catskinner, I have no good advice for you, I just wanted to say what great pictures you took.
They are close enough to see and all in focus.
That makes getting some advice possible.
-brino

If the spindle looks good no problem, take a spoon scraper and put some oil pockets in the plain bearings, reassemble and shim for the proper lift, it will work ok

I am new to this restoration part so I to need what a spoon scraper is and a description of the oil pockets. Thanks for the advice however.

Hey catskinner, I have no good advice for you, I just wanted to say what great pictures you took.
They are close enough to see and all in focus.
That makes getting some advice possible.
-brino

Thanks brino I always take a bunch of pictures and then sort through and use the best ones.

were you able to determine the spindle deflection when it was assembled?
if not was there noticeable slop when you extracted the spindle?
were there brass shims present when you took the caps off?

The spindle was tight when I went to lift it out I had to bump it with a plastic hammer to get it loose. There were shims under the bearing caps on both ends, one "factory" set in the rear, and one "factory" set and two hand made ones in the front. I did not mike them though.

This will not get you a spoon scraper, but will get you a scraper you can use.

Obtain a large 5/8 minimum across-the-flats 3-cornered-file. Go to the big end and cut it off, (from the shoulder toward the tip, leaving 3 inches plus the tang).

Using a 6 inch or smaller grinding wheel, start grinding the three sides of the file, so that you have a Three Sided Point at the end, the edges of which correspond to the original edges of the file. The sides will be slightly concave, and the edges curved. Do not get the file hot enough that you can't hold it. Once you have ground away all the little teeth of the file, stroke the sides with a good whetstone until the edges are sharp, not sharp enough to shave with, but sharp.

Put an old file handle on the tang and glue it so it's solid.

You can now use the curved edge of the scraper to shave bits off the surface of the bearings. You don't want to take off chunks, just real thin shavings, to give the surface a place to hold oil.

Back