Tru-Trace Lathe Tracing Attachment

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by Nels, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Nels

Nels Founder Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Queens
    State:
    New York

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2011
  2. Tony Wells

Tony Wells Administrator Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    They are used on lathes to cut profiles and contours that would be difficult or near impossible manually. A flat template is created that mounts on it and contact is maintained on the template by a tracer pin that is connected to a hydraulic valve. The hydraulics control the X axis of the lathe, so that when you engage the Z axis feed, the cutting tool makes a cut that matches the template. The templates are a little tricky to make, as you have to allow for the contact pin diameter.

I imagine that they aren't all that popular nowadays, with CNC all over the place, but at one time, production shops used them extensively. I ran one on an American Pacemaker for a while. Kind of boring after a few days of watching it. They don't thread, but turning and boring work they do pretty good.

3. george wilson

george wilson Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter Active Member

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia
    I have a little Lehigh(sp?) mechanical tracing attachment I've used for many years. It just is a hardened steel block with a built in linear bearing that moves the tool in and out. A follower stylus moves against a template you make from 1/8" steel flat stock.

It has always worked just fine.

4. 4gsr

4gsr Global Moderator Staff Member Supporter Active Member

City:
    Victoria
    State:
    Texas
    I don't claim to be an expert at this stuff, but that one on ebone has a missing piece to it. it's missing the template holder that holds your template.
    I threw away two tracer valves when I cleaned out my Dad's old shop when we sold the old homestead. :crying: years back.

Ken

5. Glmphoto

Glmphoto Active User Active Member

City:
    Portage
    State:
    Indiana
    Can we get a few photos of that unit?

6. tarmo120

tarmo120 Active User Active Member

City:
    Tallinn
    State:
    Outside US / Canada
    I believe this is the same attachment that Keith Fenner is using on his big lathe.
    He has quite a few videos on how it works and shows.