Universal Vise Restoration

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I picked up a band saw (subject of another restoration soon) in a Craigslist ad yesterday and the seller also had an old lathe for sale in another ad. I wasn't interested in the lathe, but in the lathe photos, I spotted a vise that interested me. I worked out a deal on the band saw and he threw in the vise. I got it home and spent a couple hours cleaning it up and I think it'll be a handy item in the shop. The base is keyed and fits perfectly in my Bridgeport.
It was made by Universal Vise and Tool, Parma, Michigan. Jaws are 3 1/2" wide.
Here's the Craigslist photo that I spotted it in.
uvise08.jpg

Back home in my shop.
uvise01.jpg

A lot of crud and some light rust.uvise02.jpg
More photos in the next message.

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the dissembled and finished vise.
Universal Vise and Tool. Multi-axis, tilting, swivel vise.
uvise03.jpg

All shined up!
uvise04.jpg

uvise06.jpg
uvise05.jpg
uvise07.jpg

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Last edited:
That certainly is "Universal," three axes. Only thing more you could ask for would be jaws that would hold any shape, but that's really asking a lot.

Nice job on cleaning it up.

That some vice! Looks like it will be very useful, if not send it to me and it will. ;^) Great job of cleaning it up, what did you use for de-rusting, elbow grease or chemical or both?

Chuck the grumpy old guy

That some vice! Looks like it will be very useful, if not send it to me and it will. ;^) Great job of cleaning it up, what did you use for de-rusting, elbow grease or chemical or both?

Chuck the grumpy old guy
Thanks. I just used some GoJo hand cleaner and a stiff brass brush for most of the cleaning. The tougher areas and light rust were finished off with Scotchbright pads with running water.
Jack

ooh, that's cool. What was the lathe, out of curiosity?

ah, I see. The missing tail stock is a bummer, but that taper attachment alone would fetch decent $$. How can you lose a tail stock on that size lathe anyway?

so what do you have planned for your crazy 3 axis vise?

so what do you have planned for your crazy 3 axis vise?

It'll probably be one of those tools/fixtures that sits on the shelf for years before a need for it turns up. If I ever have a need to mill a part at a 32 degree bevel, at a 41 degree angle, at 17 degrees to the mill axis, it's the vise for the job!
It's fairly heavy, so it could handle light to medium work in the Bridgeport.
Jack

true, I have a bunch of tools like that. But when you need them, there's usually nothing else that will do the job and you'd be stuck without one!

Back