Upper Midwest Scrapers And Rebuilders Hobby Club

For clarity "Optic Eyes" is Dennis Danich

Daryl
MN

You met him at the South St Paul Class I invited you too. I gave him a lot of info on machining, scraping too before the class and told him to join this forum.. Good Luck...
Rich,
I have known you for 41 years and have recomended your services as a rebuilder in the past, you came to Honeywell at New Brighton 502 to supervise and teach rebuilding a mill, I had been rebuilding at Honeywell Golden Valley plant for years before we worked togeather. You gave me a certificate stating I completed a class you taught. I was visiting Guy Latard in Van Couver and was asked to give a demo and a talk at Shane Carr's Machine shop, I left my copy of your material that you gave me at Honeywell, crediting you, I also suggested your services to him.
You were quite angry about that for some reason and I still don't understand why.
The material in question does not have a copyrite stamp on it.
I think you are holding a grudge way to long over a trivial matter.
BTW, you did not invent scraping, it is in a lot of books from the 1860's and later.
I am a 75 year old guy passing skills along and not in commercial industry.
Good luck to you as well.

I had the pleasure of attending the June event in Tamarack MN. I am fairly new to the hobby and completely new to the concept of scraping other than watching a few YouTube vids online. The instruction from Dennis was excellent and he was able to show me several different techniques to adapt to my needs and abilities. Dennis is a natural educator and seamlessly incorporates the "why" of a technique, not just the "how", and for me the "why" makes all the difference in my comprehension of a process. In addition to scraping, some of the concepts of optical alignment and machine rebuilding were discussed and demonstrated. Daryl (Ugly Dog) has been an instructor most for most of his professional career and that is evident in how he approaches helping people learn the skills of metal working. Daryl and his wife Liz hosted the event and the facilities were great. Daryl has a well equipped shop and shares his knowledge and experience freely. Daryl and Liz have a guest home that allowed us to stay on site saving a great deal of travel time and allowing for evening sessions that were educational and very enjoyable. I learned a great deal from the event about scraping and other machine tool knowledge and although I still have much to learn, every journey starts with a few steps. I hope to attend future events if they are offered and schedules allow.

John V Minnesota

....Daryl (Ugly Dog) has been an instructor most for most of his professional career and that is evident in how he approaches helping people learn the skills of metal working. ....

John V Minnesota
Any readers should know that I taught Paramedic Courses at a community college for 2 decades. I did not teach scraping or machining, and I've never pretended to be a machinist. However, I have taken many multiple Masters level teaching courses.

Daryl
MN

I had the pleasure of attending the June event in Tamarack MN. I am fairly new to the hobby and completely new to the concept of scraping other than watching a few YouTube vids online. The instruction from Dennis was excellent and he was able to show me several different techniques to adapt to my needs and abilities. Dennis is a natural educator and seamlessly incorporates the "why" of a technique, not just the "how", and for me the "why" makes all the difference in my comprehension of a process. In addition to scraping, some of the concepts of optical alignment and machine rebuilding were discussed and demonstrated. Daryl (Ugly Dog) has been an instructor most for most of his professional career and that is evident in how he approaches helping people learn the skills of metal working. Daryl and his wife Liz hosted the event and the facilities were great. Daryl has a well equipped shop and shares his knowledge and experience freely. Daryl and Liz have a guest home that allowed us to stay on site saving a great deal of travel time and allowing for evening sessions that were educational and very enjoyable. I learned a great deal from the event about scraping and other machine tool knowledge and although I still have much to learn, every journey starts with a few steps. I hope to attend future events if they are offered and schedules allow.

John V Minnesota
John
I was pleased to have you there and a lot of the pleasure was mine.

I am a Journeyman Millwright in Local 548 in St Paul, several men in the local are also Machinists, and machine rebuilders. I started my career in 1968.
My REAL INTERESTS ARE ALIGNMENT USING OPTICS AND METROLOGY.

Our local hobby/home machinist group would like to announce a Foundry Day in Tamarack Minnesota..
Please consider adding Saturday October 16th 2021, and rain date October 23rd 2021 to your calendar.

Emphasis will be on safety at all times. Please anticipate a list of affordable PPE in future emails. We hope that you might please bring your own PPE.

Depending on who attends and their interests, specific activities may vary.
These activities might include casting from a pattern, and pattern building, cores, lost foam casting, and both aluminum and brass pour. We've also discussed conducting some experiments involving casting from different sorts of aluminum scrap (castings, forgings, extrusions, pop cans).
While some might be only interested in watching, this is not intended as a demonstration. We hope that at the end of the event you will have a casting which you have made to take home. Two people with considerable casting experience have mentioned interest in participating and teaching.

We will provide lunch the day of the event.
For persons interested in staying overnight we have 4 furnished rooms with beds available the night before (Friday) and the Saturday of the event.
This is a no charge for this outdoor event. However, donations to help cover costs will be accepted.
It is my hope that finances not be an impediment for anyone to participate. It is imperative that this is a safe event.

It will be important to plan for attendance and content so that everyone gets what they had hoped for from the event.
Our local group will likely have an active email thread. I will attempt to copy/paste some of core content here. Or, contact me directly at the messaging system here at HM.

Additionally, based on the amount of fun and powerful learning that students had at the last scraping class, Dennis is thinking about a second session fall 2021. Interested persons should please contact me if there are target dates which work well for them. My goal in all these opportunities is that making stuff can be incredibly fun, necessarily safe, and very affordable.

Daryl
MN

Our local hobby/home machinist group would like to announce a Foundry Day in Tamarack Minnesota..
Please consider adding Saturday October 16th 2021, and rain date October 23rd 2021 to your calendar.

Emphasis will be on safety at all times. Please anticipate a list of affordable PPE in future emails. We hope that you might please bring your own PPE.

Depending on who attends and their interests, specific activities may vary.
These activities might include casting from a pattern, and pattern building, cores, lost foam casting, and both aluminum and brass pour. We've also discussed conducting some experiments involving casting from different sorts of aluminum scrap (castings, forgings, extrusions, pop cans).
While some might be only interested in watching, this is not intended as a demonstration. We hope that at the end of the event you will have a casting which you have made to take home. Two people with considerable casting experience have mentioned interest in participating and teaching.

We will provide lunch the day of the event.
For persons interested in staying overnight we have 4 furnished rooms with beds available the night before (Friday) and the Saturday of the event.
This is a no charge for this outdoor event. However, donations to help cover costs will be accepted.
It is my hope that finances not be an impediment for anyone to participate. It is imperative that this is a safe event.

It will be important to plan for attendance and content so that everyone gets what they had hoped for from the event.
Our local group will likely have an active email thread. I will attempt to copy/paste some of core content here. Or, contact me directly at the messaging system here at HM.

Additionally, based on the amount of fun and powerful learning that students had at the last scraping class, Dennis is thinking about a second session fall 2021. Interested persons should please contact me if there are target dates which work well for them. My goal in all these opportunities is that making stuff can be incredibly fun, necessarily safe, and very affordable.

Daryl
MN
Scraping class needs time to order in DuraBar plates to work on, students need to order scraper handles and a blade.
Daryl has to post a date for a 5 day class, Fri, Sat, Sun. and two extra days if students want more pratice and Optical Metrology 101

Back