Upper Midwest Scrapers And Rebuilders Hobby Club

That's where I ordered mine. Should arrive by the end of the coming week I would think. No matter if it doesn't as it isn't going anywhere until Feb 6th anyway.

I'll have my wood lathe up and operable. I'll also have some large diameter wood stock, and copper caps should anyone want to personalize a handle.

Daryl
MN

Reminder this Saturday February 6th at 0900 our scraping sessions will begin.

Please bring your Anderson Scrapers and 1gb thumb drive.

Please consider bringing a beverage if you want something other than water or coffee.

Please PM for my address and phone number.

It's a cul-de-sac with three houses. Ours is the white one with the wrap around old-fashioned front porch. I'll park the red pickup at the curb in an attempt to highlight the location.

Yesterday, I picked up some thick walled box tubing to lift the acorn table to a better height for the tall people.
If you are of shorter stature, then please consider bringing some scraps of 2x4 and plywood so we can construct some "duck boards" to build up the floor.

There has been some additional questions about the triangular straight edges. At this time they've not been made. I'm hoping the group will decide to have them cast. I don't know exactly what Dennis has planned.

Please send any/all questions concerns.

Daryl
MN

We will have another session in North Branch Minnesota on Saturday 8/20/16.
If interested please PM me for details.
Note: these are no charge sessions.
Your only expenses will be scraping / rebuilding tools that you may choose to purchase from someone - somewhere.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
I think I've missed posting updates. As we have members who have elected not to become HM members we began a google group.
Regardless, new members are welcome!

Next meeting is January, 28th 2017 in Northbranch MN.

Daryl
MN

I'd really like to get up there sometime Daryl.

We try to meet monthly.
Well, try....
Looking for regulars who want to work together to understand and perform machine tool rebuilding and all of its many facets.
You are welcome to join us, no cost. Sessions are taught by a retired Millwright. Actually did this stuff....
Looking for regulars serious about learning rebuilding. However, attendance is not taken, and an occasionals are welcome.

Daryl
MN

Nothing wrong with the HSS. In fact because it doesn't require diamond wheels to sharpen it's arguably preferable. Unless you've go access to cool grinders.
Consider a 1inch. However, we are certainly not going to inspect your scraper before being allowed in the shop!
You might want to attend a session and get Dennis' recommendation. Long term you will want your own....

Daryl
MN

Machinist Bedside Reader fans may recall Guy Lautard reference to Dennis Danich a Millright. I’ve been privileged to enjoy beginning to learn scraping and rebuilding under his auspice. Dennis would like to find 6 or 8 individuals who would like to learn and build on their scraping and machine tool rebuilding skills. His emphasis is always on understanding what and why.

First project:
Using his pattern making skills he is proposing that he hire a local foundry to cast 24 inch triangular straight edges. All participants will purchase one of these at his cost: $120. This is for a 24inch long, stress relieved, triangular gray cast straight edge with 90degree, 55degree and 35degree angles. Faces will be around 2.75inches. Note: this is a not for-profit venture. He is coaching me to do one pass milling on them and charge a very few additional dollars for my time. Each member of the group will have their own straight edge, and will be working on the same project and learning scraping and geometry together. Please understand that this is a club, not a class. We are accountable to each other. Dennis is only facilitating the learning. You will also need a scraping tool. An inexpensive tubular Anderson with HSS cutters would be fine.

Dennis is having his knee rebuilt shortly after Thanksgiving. Then we need to build a pattern. The foundry wants 4-6 weeks to schedule and complete the job. Thus, our first session will likely not happen until January. Our first obstacle is to gage interest, and collect some down payments so that we don’t end up owning a dozen straight edges.

Initially the plan is that we hold these sessions at my shop in Dayton MN. I have a 5footx5foot acorn table and a 36 inch cast plate. We believe that we can get everyone comfortably around the acorn table. Other locations will be used as they become available.

It’s the expectation that after the initial session we would all work on the project at home, then reconvene to take work on triangles and the geometry. The long term goal is that we work on rebuilding an entire machine as a group. This suggests a long term time commitment to the group. Other than the straight edge costs there is no plan for ever charging a fee or paying for instruction.

Please PM should you have interest, questions, or concerns. I will answer you directly and/or forward your contact information to Dennis for him to respond directly.

Daryl
MN
Hi Daryl,

I am a little late getting to this discussion but I have a question. What is the purpose of the 55 and 35 degree angles on the straight edge? Is it to be able to isolate working on just one surface of a dovetail at a time? Just curious.
Dick

Back