1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

[How do I?] Variable Speed Control.

Discussion in 'ELECTRICAL ISSUES - POWER YOUR MACHINES & SHOP' started by Steven Storey, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Steven Storey

Steven Storey United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Hi, I've a Axminster ZX30M mill/drill,

I'm wanting to fit a speed controller if that's possible, looking on the bay of plenty I've come across a Potentiometer see below, is this possible.?

EB No-291906264659

Cheers,

Steven.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canada Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Kelowna
    State:
    British Columbia

-Return to Top-

A ZX30 will be very similar to my PDM30, with an induction motor. I'm assuming you have only single-phase power available, probably at 240 volts, 50 Hz. A potentiometer will not control an induction motor. For usable speed control, you need a 3-phase motor controlled by a Variable Frequency Drive. It is easy to find a VFD that takes in single-phase and delivers three-phase. My mill is running off one and I really like it.

BTW, 3-phase motors are generally cheaper than single-phase motors because they are easier to build.

3. Steven Storey

Steven Storey United Kingdom Iron Registered Member

City:
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    State:
    Outside US / Canada

-Return to Top-

Hi Hawkeye & Thanks for the reply, the above quote I didn't know, like I've said I'm not electrically minded pass wiring a plug TBH.

I've a old 3phase Boxford AUD that I run off a inverter so I'm up to speed with that bit, varying the speed for me is a great advantage, hence my thread .

For now I think I'll just stick with the 240v on the mill, it'll be passed my budget since I've had to replace my inverter just the other day.

Again Thanks for your time,

Cheers,

SS.