Vernon Shaper Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

24dickinson24

Registered
Registered
Recently bought a Vernon shaper (not a Sheldon-Vernon)

The V-belts that run from the jack shaft to the transmission had, essentially, disintegrated. There was a number on one of the belts but it could not be successfully cross referenced. I'm looking for two pieces of advice:
1. Belt size
2. How on earth does one get them on?????

Both sets of sheaves are fixed (no tensioner). The belts are "B" series so it will be a bit challenging to stretch them over the flanges. If someone has a manual I could look at I would truly appreciate it.

thanks

If you will look closer at the bottom sheaves, they are threaded and by turning them counter to one another, you will find that they spread apart or tighten to tension the belts. There is a locking mechanism, I think is a set screw or it could have been a jam nut.(I have forgotten) You will find that it is a royal ***** to get in there and do the adjustment, particularly tightening up the belts.
Have fun 8^)

Randy

If you will look closer at the bottom sheaves, they are threaded and by turning them counter to one another, you will find that they spread apart or tighten to tension the belts. There is a locking mechanism, I think is a set screw or it could have been a jam nut.(I have forgotten) You will find that it is a royal ***** to get in there and do the adjustment, particularly tightening up the belts.
Have fun 8^)

Randy

Hello Randy
That is great information. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thank you Bob and Randy for the help.
The Vernon shaper did in fact have a 3 piece threaded v-belt sheave on the jack shaft. Once the flanges were threaded away from the center portion it as relatively simple to install the new belts. The belt size I found to work was goodyear BX-52.

It is up and running now, thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back