Video of 7.5 hp Rotary Phase Converter

marcaap

Registered
Registered
Well, here's another successful story for 'custom built' rotary phase converters:
Attached is a video of a 7.5hp Rotary Phase Converter that I built using a combination of 4-5 different plans.

[video=youtube;Y5TGZThIy38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5TGZThIy38&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

I want to take the time to say thanks for the fabulous information on this site!

Paul​

Well, here's another successful story for 'custom built' rotary phase converters:
Attached is a video of a 7.5hp Rotary Phase Converter that I built using a combination of 4-5 different plans.

[video=youtube;Y5TGZThIy38]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5TGZThIy38&feature=youtube_gdata_player [/video]

I want to take the time to say thanks for the fabulous information on this site!

Paul​
Paul, an excellent vid of your RPC. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking about building one similar and am wondering if you have put together the list of parts needed (especially cap sizes and relays). Also do you have the wiring diagram that you've used? I really like your idea of powering the contactor coil via your shop lights. Very clever especially when you have the idler motor outside where you can't hear it running. I've also see some RPC that have added three 0-300v analog panel meters to the control box so you can see if each of the 3 legs of power is balanced. I'm not sure how one goes about balancing those legs, but assume it is by changing the size of the run caps? Bill

Great video! Be carefull poking around in that box with a screw driver, those are some pretty hefty capacitors.

On you light switch for the 24v transformer; I would be worried that someone, someday will inadvertently throw that switch while you are using one of the machines! My wife for instance, will flip one bank of lights to get my attention if it is noisy in the shop and I can't hear her call me. I think I would wire up the transformer with its own switch on the converter panel, and wire up a 24v red indicator light on the face of the panel, or maybe up the wall a ways where it would be seen from anywhere in the shop. Then a quick glance back on the way out will remind you...or if its after dark,the red lighting in the shop will remind you... Not trying to be a safety nancy or start a flame fest or anything, just not the way I would do it...

p.s. I'm jealousy of your shop space and equipment!

Last edited:
Yeah Daver, you're right about the 'juice' in that box and that's the reason I have the power source unplugged while I was filming for the video.

I understand your concerns about the light switch and no offense taken at all!

Paul, an excellent vid of your RPC. Thanks for sharing. I am thinking about building one similar and am wondering if you have put together the list of parts needed (especially cap sizes and relays). Also do you have the wiring diagram that you've used? I really like your idea of powering the contactor coil via your shop lights. Very clever especially when you have the idler motor outside where you can't hear it running. I've also see some RPC that have added three 0-300v analog panel meters to the control box so you can see if each of the 3 legs of power is balanced. I'm not sure how one goes about balancing those legs, but assume it is by changing the size of the run caps? Bill

Bill,
Attached is the list of the items from Grainger, as well as the main schematic that I used. Important to remember that the potential relay should be oriented in the 'up' position. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to help.

You'll have to click the link to download, then open in browser.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24231093/Rotary Phase Converter parts @ Grainger.webarchive

RPC.jpg

Paul, thanks for the wiring diagram and the parts list. I just printed them both out so I now need to study and digest your stuff here. I'll be back if I have questions. Thanks again for sharing. Cheers, Bill

Hi Paul, Thanks for the info on this converter. Curious as to the RPM (1725 or 3450) of the 3-ph motor you used and where to get one at a reasonable price. Thanks! Jerry

I'm not certain on the rpm of the motor as there are no tags on the motor at all, in fact I had to ohm the 6 leads to determine how to terminate the wiring. As for where to purchase a motor, a salvage/scrap yard would be a good start.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the info on this converter. Curious as to the RPM (1725 or 3450) of the 3-ph motor you used and where to get one at a reasonable price. Thanks! Jerry

Hello Paul. Thanks for posting the video. I discovered it several months ago but it took a bit of additional research before I understood what you had put together. I think I've got a pretty good handle on it now. Two questions, you mention a parts list above. I'm wondering if that is still available. I'm trying to match yours and though I think I have found the right contactor, a part number would be helpful. Same would be true for the capacitors. Second, you mentioned somewhere that this was originally designed for a 10hp motor. Are the capacitors then tailored to the hp or perhaps even to the individual motor? Somewhere there was a mention of a capacitor value that didn't match the plan. Perhaps I misunderstood but, and I suppose this is the hearth of the question, are the capacitor values in the plan just the starting point and tailored to each installation?

I just received the Steveco relay yesterday. Time to pull the rest of the parts together. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Back