Vintage Drill Press Score

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I was at a Habitat for Humanities store late last week, looking for "raw materials" and odd tools. Saw a vintage Craftsman drill press, marked "As Is - motor does not work," but no price. Thought it might be worth picking up and refurbishing, if the price was right. When I asked, they said $25!!! Durn near ripped my jeans getting the wallet out.

I've since disassembled it for a thorough check and cleaning. Nothing missing, nothing broken! Just some bearings needing replacement, and they're on order. Durn ... they sure built them stout in those days! - '50s or '60s, as near as I can tell. The model number is 103.24530. I've found a couple restoration threads on other forums, as well as manuals on line. Mine has the optional "Vari-Slo" variable speed pulley setup (Sears Cat #9-2340) - slick! Can't wait to get the motor running, so I can check the system out.

The motor actually looks like it's in OK (runnable) condition - no shorts or opens, centrifugal switch looks OK, preliminary check of capacitor looks OK. Just need to replace the bearings, actually measure the capacitance (a VERY old flat-pack design), verify that all the old cloth-insulated wiring is OK (add heat-shrink to doubtful areas), then try adding a power cord.

About the only feature the DP is missing is a table lift. Right now, I'm toying with adapting an automotive scissors jack to perform that function. I'm pretty sure I can do it so it's easily removable, and without modifying any of the original parts - so the "vintage" character of the DP isn't compromised. Once I get everything done, the big question will be whether to sell it and hold on to my existing DP, or to adopt this beautiful classic and sell the "plain Jane" but fully functional one I already have. Decisions, decisions ...
kHPIM4427.jpg kHPIM4428.jpg kHPIM4431.jpg
PS - I'll probably be posting updates at the "Antique & Vintage Machinery" forum. Looks like there have been previous threads posted for similar drill presses.

Last edited:
Nice score / price, looks like it gets down to 150 rpm and uses standard size belts, double motor shaft
If it squares up good should be a good one once motor is operable

nice DP, the price was excellent.
i hope you keep it, but sometimes a good find can be sold to get other wants too...:)

the big question will be whether to sell it and hold on to my existing DP, or to adopt this beautiful classic and sell the "plain Jane" but fully functional one I already have. Decisions, decisions ...

What decision?
Just keep both!

It looks to be in great shape.
Congrats!

-brino

Personally, I just don't dig the look of the art deco Craftsmen series- but for $25... holy crap you got the deal of a lifetime! Nice score! Looks like it has an intermediate shaft as well, which doesn't seem as common on these old drill presses. (Yes, they were available- but at least around here the drill presses never seem to have the intermediate shaft included.)

Wow, nice score on the drill press:) I love that vintage look. Looks like an old boat motor mounted on a pole
Cheers
Martin W

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back