Vise Stop

jmhoying

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm very new into the machining world and this is one of my first projects. I built a vise stop last night for the Kurt vise that I picked up earlier this week. I thought I'd share some photos of the finished product.
visestop4.jpg
Overall view

visestop1.jpg
3/4" square back bar with .375 x 1.375 square end plate welded on and then machined square.

visestop2.jpg
Adjustable stop detail

visestop3.jpg
I used the same size bolt as my table hold-downs so I wouldn't have an additional wrench to find. I put the back bar in a 4-jaw chuck on my lathe to drill and thread the 1/2 x 13 bolt hole. (the stud is held in place with a set screw from below). The hole in the pivoting arm is elongated 3/8" in order to be able to set the stop anywhere within the 2" range that it has.

I used it tonight for another project and it works great.

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

visestop4.jpg visestop1.jpg visestop2.jpg visestop3.jpg

Re: Chuck Stop

Very nice. I like the swing away ability. I would call that a vise stop, not a chuck stop. You call it what-ever you wish.

"Billy G"

Re: Chuck Stop

Very nice. I like the swing away ability. I would call that a vise stop, not a chuck stop. You call it what-ever you wish.

"Billy G"

Thanks. I guess the bit of bourbon I had tonight messed with me! I corrected the post, but can't change the title of the thread.

Jack

Don't worry about it. It's OK either way.

"Billy G"

Is the purpose of a vise stop to allow for repeatable positioning of material in the vise?

Is the purpose of a vise stop to allow for repeatable positioning of material in the vise?

Exactly right.

Very nice job Jack. I keep running into situations where a stop would be useful, but it's just sitting there on my todo list.

Yes, that's the idea. For instance, I had to make four identical plates yesterday, and it worked very nice for that.

Jack

Exactly right.

Very nice job Jack. I keep running into situations where a stop would be useful, but it's just sitting there on my todo list.

Yes, that's the idea. For instance, I had to make four identical plates yesterday, and it worked very nice for that.

Jack

Thanks guys, I don't have a lathe or a mill yet but have been hanging around here hoping to pick up some knowledge while saving up for machines. I appreciate the friendliness and love seeing everyone's work.

I'm very new into the machining world and this is one of my first projects. I built a vise stop last night for the Kurt vise that I picked up earlier this week. I thought I'd share some photos of the finished product.
View attachment 58718
Overall view

View attachment 58719
3/4" square back bar with .375 x 1.375 square end plate welded on and then machined square.

View attachment 58720
Adjustable stop detail

View attachment 58721
I used the same size bolt as my table hold-downs so I wouldn't have an additional wrench to find. I put the back bar in a 4-jaw chuck on my lathe to drill and thread the 1/2 x 13 bolt hole. (the stud is held in place with a set screw from below). The hole in the pivoting arm is elongated 3/8" in order to be able to set the stop anywhere within the 2" range that it has.

I used it tonight for another project and it works great.

Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Nice job, clean design. Give it a good coat of oil to protect it from rusting. One of the better designs I have seen in any of the shops I worked in.

Back