WARCO WM180 / WEISS WBL 180 lathe

Alberto-sp

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi everyone.

I´m new here, so I want to take advantage of this message to introduce myself. I´m from Spain (Sorry for my English), I´m teacher of economy and I love making things. I have been using plastic and wood, but I want to start with metal. Also I´m learning TIG. I hope to spend much time here and learn a lot with you.

I want a small lathe, my budget is around 1.400$ (I know that I will also need some tools, but this is other budget) I don´t really need the highest precision. Most people have recommend me these features. Brushless motor, tapered bearings and metal gears. Also I want to buy it in a local store in my country, so the only one that it has that 3 features is the WEISS WBL 180 (1.300$).

What do you think about that lathe and that price? I had started looking the typical 600$ minilathe, but maybe it worth to expend twice and get a much better machine.

I will appreciate any advice or suggestion.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Welcome to H-M Alberto.

A quick search didn't lead me to the exact model number you specified.
What I saw seemed to be mainland China manufacture.
Many buyers consider Chicom lathes to be parts kits that need considerable attention to achieve reasonable performance.
I'm guessing that you want a lathe, not a machine rebuilding project. What say you?
My advice is to be confident about your machine dealers customer service/technical support/parts/service/return performance before you buy.

Have you shopped for European manufactured lathes in your size/price range. I'm wondering if good used lathes are available near you?

Thanks for your answer.

Yes I only want a small lathe to learn to use it and make small things. And yes, It is chinese. Is rebranded, maybe is more known as Warco. I think is the same than WARCO WM 180, but this one cames with brushless motor.

And I prefer a new one, also, in Spain there isn´t a great DIW culture, so is dificult to find this things on second han market.

Welcome to the forum Alberto!

Weiss lathes are sold in the USA, but on this forum there don't seem to be many people that own them.
One of our members, gman10259 bought one a few years ago and sold it because he was dissatisfied
with the machine. You could try sending him a private message to find out more about his experience.

Here's a link to the posts that include Weiss:

Your decision to buy something larger than a mini lathe is a good idea. While mini lathes have their place,
larger machines will give you more capability, offer greater rigidity, which is very important, and usually
have better features. It's common for people to buy small machines and quickly "out grow" them.

If you plan on buying a new lathe, it is VERY important that you buy one from a company that has a good
reputation for service and customer support, so your decision to buy from a local store is a good one.

To be honest, Mainland Chinese lathes have a somewhat poor reputation for quality. Lathes built in
Taiwan are usually better built, though of course they cost more. Without knowing what machines
are available in Spain, it's difficult to give advise, but finding out exactly where the machines are
built will be helpful. Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

By, the way, your English is very good.

Tanks for your answer.

Yes I would pefer a better one, but I have bought a welding table and a press drill, so the budget is limited. I think a chinese one is what I can afford. I have been reading and have some good opinions, but there are from years ago.

I want it to learm but I don´t want to have to buy a new one because my first lathe of 500$ is not enought.

It sounds as though the Weiss machine is similar (but perhaps not identical) to the WARCO WM180 with is sold in
England. I found this, which you might find useful: http://andysmachines.weebly.com

In general, owners of the Chinese machines in this class find that they have to do some initial work to correct problems
or make useful improvements before they can really use them. As I said before, having a local supplier that can provide
support will make that process much easier. It also seems to be true that many similar Chinese machines are built by
the same factories but to slightly different specifications and levels of quality and then sold by different suppliers. A
careful comparison of specifications on similar machines may help you determine which will best suit your needs. Try
to distinguish between features that seem desirable, but may not be necessary and features that really provide a benefit.
For example, some machines offer variable speed motors, which are an advantage but are not really needed. Features
like a larger spindle bore, or more cross slide travel can be more important in the long run. And, as you suggested,
better quality bearings or steel gears are important. If you post the specifications for the machines you're considering, we
may be able to give advice.

YesThanks for your answer.

Yes, I´m stuying about machining before buying it to be sure taht everithing works fine.

The specs are in english in that web. I want it to do small things. The weight and the size are limiting features. Any advice will be well received.

weiss 180V

Last edited:
Back