Warning--- Drilling

Hey Bill, you forgot to mention that it will also knock your hex key off the workpiece. Or your dial indicator or anything else lying loose within range. It's good practice to clear the work zone of anything not clamped down.

Yup, if it's in the way that ball of chips will reach out and find it. It has no conscience what-so-ever.

At last, an advantage of my pi## weak drill, no way could it drill a 1" bit that easy.

I worked in a shop where we had a girl sweeping floors who grabbed a bundle of lathe filings that were stuck under the lathe. Cut through her rubber gloves and clean to the bone, hard way to learn that lesson...

Good thread that hopefully prevent serious injuries.

I have a collection of gloves for different purposes. Below are two examples. The white ones are for general wrenching and the black Kevlar gloves are used for nasty stuff like removing chips from the lathe, cutting metal with a handheld grinder or replacing broken green house windows. There are also thin and tight gloves that can be used without being dangerous when turning, and feels okay when working with small parts.

Eye-protection is mandatory and shouldn't need to be mentioned at all...

DSC03900.JPG

DSC03898.JPG

DSC03899.JPG

Randyc i had a nest happen when my 7yr old boy was on lathe.
stopped lathe and asked him how to get rid of it, he said " just pull it off " giving that what a stupid question dad look.
so i got a rag and glove then pulled it off and showed him rag was shredded, he looked at his hand then back to rag and had worried look on his face.
now if he goes on lathe he makes sure he as glove and pair of pliers.
and he turns it off at wall before he touches anything.
I go by the old admonishment, one should NEVER wear gloves when running a machine.

We used steel hooks bent in shape to pull them from LATHES while turning and cleaning . I use to make them from 1/8 " stock a few bends in a vise and the pulling hook was a large almost right angle. I had bigger ones to clean but the smaller rod would bend up if ever caught up the ball. The trick was stay on top of the coils keeping them headed to the back of the Chip pan. Or trash can.

No gloves, no necktie, no loose clothing, no long head hair/long beard not maintained, wear safety glasses, don’t rush….get the idea…BE SAFE!
Indeed, that is what I was taught, both in school and on the job.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back