Warning--- Drilling

Only one guy in my apprenticeship shop wore gloves on the job; he was a skinny old man on swing/graveyard shift and ran the 86" swing lathe mostly, I think the cold metal chilled him; he still had all his fingers when he retired. Needless to say he was careful going about his work. RIP Milton Lafferty ---

At first glance of the picture I thought you were creating Art. If not, pecking and the other suggestions are quite appropriate.

Randy

Silverbullet, I use a piece of heavy Copper wire bent like you said, to pull and guide them away, This way if for some reason it does get catch the wire will bend straight quickly. Not sure where I learned that one from but I works, razor sharp curls will cut, and slice though things like a razor blade.

All good comments ; but how many have lost it- gloves clamps or not: Keep the quill down let it spin till you hit the
power or pull the plug.

We usually never did much that had lots of chips that did not break or larger cuts that required removing while running.

We made a tool or fixture for recharging bellows for atmos clocks and that changed.

We started with a steel disk 1.25 thick and 8 inch diameter that we had to reduce to take the leader hole out and make better size.

With the L&S 16 X 54 we were taking cuts about .3 (.6 total diameter) at a good clip and the steel was coming off in what looked like sheets.

Found a hand gardening tool that is a wood handle with a claw that looks like your hand.

Works like a champ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I go by the old admonishment, one should NEVER wear gloves when running a machine.

he doesn't wear a glove he as at side of lathe so he can use it after turning lathe off at the wall.

This is for the newbie and pro alike. What you see there is one continuous chip created by a 1" drill bit. It is the size of a baseball and as sharp as anything you can come up with. It will tear you up in a heartbeat. If you see one start to form, STOP THE MACHINE and clear it. It does not like you. A trip to the ER is not fun.

"Billy G" View attachment 98137

On the plus side - looks like you have the exact feed rate :)

Back