Welding/brazing Chuck Adapter Question

Joe Pitz

Registered
Registered
Hello All,

I am replacing my chuck, found out that the new chuck register is wider than my existing adapter plate is by .325"

I have a HF el cheapo MIG welder but no TIG welder. Would it be possible to braze a bead around the cast iron lathe adapter and then turn it down to size to fit the new chuck?

I read some articles that indicate if you either pre-head the cast iron or braze you can weld cast iron.

Or do I have to purchase another lathe adapter?

I can pick up an oxy/mapp gas torch kit for around $60.00 at Home Depot.

Thanks

Joe

That’s an interesting question? Never thought of doing any welding to a back plate? I guess internal stresses, warping and cracks would be a concern. Do you mean the step on the back plate is too small? How about making a ring…Dave.

Yes, Dave, The step on the adapter is just over .300 too small for the new chuck. Since my current chuck does not have any jaws with outer steps on it, whole point of getting a new chuck, I do not think I could turn a 4.918" ring on my mini lathe.

Thanks

Joe

Is this going to be for a Set-Tru chuck? If not, I think making it out of aluminum would be just fine. All you are doing is locating. Let me know if you go the ring route. I can turn a ring for you. We are in the same state, shipping should be reasonable, PM me…Dave.

Dave, It is a Bison chuck, and they call it a Universal chuck, has a register on the back. (step on back) Let me see what the consensus is, I may take up up on that, Danville, up North, I was born and raised in Stockton. Not to far from Ulma Doctor.

Thanks

Joe

Is there enough material that you could completely remove the existing register on the backplate and cut a new one that is what you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, Yes I only need about .125 for the step, I could turn out the existing step. Currently the adapter is just over .800". Would that be enough?

Thanks

Joe

The bolts will hold it on, the register just is just for concentricity of the backplate to the chuck. So I'd say .125 is plenty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back