Welding Safety

Doing some welding the other day and must have hit the darkening switch on my welding bucket when I flipped it up. Got all set to strike another arc, nodded my head to lower the bucket and struck the arc. Normally I have issues finding the seam,my glasses aren't quite in the right position but this time everything was crystal clear, until I figgered out the lense didn't darken:confused:. Luckily the glass was just dark enough and I realized what was going on before too long.

Another time I was welding in a shop I worked at, I lifted the bucket to notice the guys looking at me and laughing. Somehow a spark shot out a few feet off to the side of me, catching a 5 gallon bucket of garbage on fire.

We used to get a bit mean spirited at a railcar shop I worked at. I was sitting on the floor inside of a steel coal car welding in a stiffener. For some reason, I looked up and saw one of my buddies looking into the car over the side grinning. I went back to welding......then it hit! It felt like a wasp stung my butt and kept getting worse. I started rolling around cussing and confused. What those a-holes were doing goes like this......one guy was on a ladder watching me and guiding another guy with a BIG rosebud under the car. He finally hit his mark and heated my butt up.

Vengeance was promptly dealt. The rosebud guy got die penetrant sprayed into a hot pile of slag under him while under a car scarfing out some crap. He came rolling out from under the car in a hurry when it flamed up. The guy guiding him got an ammonia inhaler crunched up in the intake of his PAPR (air hood) while he was welding some manganese. I have never seen a hood come off that fast in my life.

Back