Welding Safety

I saw a good one in the Philippines once. (only 6 years ago)
Bamboo scaffolding tied up with string ending up with one tall vertical pole. Four floor high.
The welder was hanging off the pole with one hand whilst he welded something I couldn't see.
All the while the pole flexed back and forth. I had no camera with me that day unfortunately.

Until I got my auto darkening helmet I had several corneal arc ray burns (AKA photokeratitis). Not serious but spending 12+ hours in a darkened room will make you think twice. How many here have done it?
R

I've had cucumber slices on my eyes before, takes the grind out, that was a long time ago.
Don't do that no, mo.

Reactions: rwm
Doing some welding the other day and must have hit the darkening switch on my welding bucket when I flipped it up. Got all set to strike another arc, nodded my head to lower the bucket and struck the arc. Normally I have issues finding the seam,my glasses aren't quite in the right position but this time everything was crystal clear, until I figgered out the lense didn't darken:confused:. Luckily the glass was just dark enough and I realized what was going on before too long.

Another time I was welding in a shop I worked at, I lifted the bucket to notice the guys looking at me and laughing. Somehow a spark shot out a few feet off to the side of me, catching a 5 gallon bucket of garbage on fire.

And everyone just stood there watching while it burned.
That is so typical.
And we wonder why no one will help themselves or another person in need. :concerned:

We had someone write up as a safety near miss an orange peel on the floor in an office area, they picked it up but wrote it up, I would have been embarrassed to call it a safety problem let alone mention that I picked it up.

Back