1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by bvd1940, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bvd1940

bvd1940 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

First I want to thank Jumps4 (Steve) for helping me get as far as I have, he is a good resource for any CNC conversions you might be considering to do.
    Well I have my ball screws all installed and my one shot oilier hooked up. Jumps4 (Steve) wanted me to start a thread on the conversion and I have not taken any pic,s to this point but just recived my pkg from Wantai on Fleaybay with a 4 axis kit with 1600 oz in double shaft steppers, drivers, power supply's, breakout board, and cables, 6 micro switch's, 2 e stops switches, 3 motor plugs M/F, a box from my junk box to put the electrics in, a old laptop for the the PC control but I find out I need a PCMCIA plug on the laptop so I have to go shopping for a adapter, they have them available from what I see on flebay for about $15 which will be cheaper than getting a used desktop just for the plug in ability of the break out board.
    I will try to keep this thread updated as best I can but but the build will go slowly as that is my only speed at 74 pushing 75yrs old.:eek 2:
    Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.:anyone:
    Is mach 3 the accsepted cnc program for operation or is there better options???:penny:
    Bill

Ed of all trades likes this.
  2. Boswell

Boswell United States Hobby Machinist since 2010 H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Cedar Park
    State:
    Texas

-Return to Top-

I look forward to following your build. As for Mach3. There might be others but Mach3 seems to be the most popular by a huge margin and the only one that I am familiar with for home built hobby use.

3. jumps4

jumps4 Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

mach3 is the only one I can assist you with... LOL
    Steve

4. dracozny

dracozny United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lebanon
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

Better is subjective. I use linuxcnc.

5. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Then I guess it will be mach 3, I have seen enough conversions that rate mach 3 the best and most used.
    Bill

6. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I had hand to hand combat with linux and cant get along with it with my 74 years of age LOL
    Bill

7. dracozny

City:
    Lebanon
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

hog wash, I actually detest windows in comparison. Too much BS to deal with. Ubuntu is not that hard to deal with, it also has many similarities to windows, more secure and I find it more practical to administer. But as the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks"

8. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

If you read the post the way I intended it it was me being 74 years old trying to learn cad/cam mach 3 AND linux was the problem with it.:bawling:
    I got tired of trying to find drivers that would work with Ubuntu and gave up.
    I liked it EXCEPT for the problems finding drivers (I have no problem with drivers for windows) and they work always.:agree disagree:
    I had Ubuntu on 3 different pcs and could only get one on line to the internet.
    I would rather spend my time learning how to program with the CNC aspect that hunting the internet for programs that will work in Ubuntu. :bash computer:

TomS, JimDawson and gt40 like this.
  9. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Well a update (i guess) downloaded Mach 3 and looked it over. Ordered a PCMCIA to LPT card after checking if it would operate the equipment and the consensuses was it would. I find I have to shut a few things off on my laptop so I guess that is next.
    Still waiting for a few parts to arrive yet then I guess I start testing the electrics. :chemist:

10. dracozny

City:
    Lebanon
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

My "hog wash" comment is in reference to age. all limits of ones mental capacity are in their head (almost a pun, like the neurologist that told me my headaches were in my head.....).
    I am curious how long ago you had the driver issue. Linux is a different animal, as most drivers are actually implemented at the kernel level and many of them are loaded as modules during bootup. It's possible that the hardware you were trying to support had zero support at that time. Linux Mint has a little more support for a lot of hardware. All of the hardware I installed on my mill had 100% support in Ubuntu Linux since it was mostly server grade hardware. The only dilemma I had was the touch screen. It works, but no second mouse click or multi-touch functionality. I've had to use a gesture app to fix the second click issue. otherwise no hunting around to fix anything. My internet issue is due to not being able to get a physical line out to my shop area, nothing to do with Linux.

11. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Last year and gave up in the fall as I could not find printer drivers, internet connection and I tried Mint, and Ubuntu and spent many hours on there respective forums MANY HOURS!!! and will not get into that loop trying to make the operating system fit my PC (why reinvent the wheel) when now all I have to do is get Mach 3 to make my mill move the way I want.
    As far as secure pc this old laptop wont be on the internet and will be stripped down to bare bones with NO bloat wear.
    Just saying:anyone::agree disagree:

dracozny likes this.
  12. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Steve did you the same size steppers and drivers?
    What gauge wire for the 4 stranded with shield?
    I know you bought a roll of 18 gauge but was that for the steppers?
    Cornfused:dunno:
    I know dumb question:penny:

13. jumps4

jumps4 Global Moderator Staff Member Active Member

City:
    New Port Richey
    State:
    Florida

-Return to Top-

I used the 18ga shield wire on everything low voltage
    the white black and green wires are 110v ac everything else is shielded wire
    Steve

DSCF0222.JPG

14. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

15. TomS

TomS Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

There are a few of us that are, or have, copied Steve's conversion. It was thought out very well and the documentation was wonderful for a CNC newbie like me.

My build thread is in the Precision Mathews section of this forum if you are interested titled Taking the CNC Plunge. I watch all of the build threads so I can learn as much as possible. So I'll be watching yours on a daily basis. Good luck and have fun.

Tom S

16. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

17. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I have been watching every build I could find on similar mills soaking as much up as possible BUT hard to retain lol
    Thanks
    Bill

18. bpratl

bpratl United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Gloucester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Bill, it looks like it is coming along great. I was looking at your photos and I would like some information on your oiling system as I have been looking or one similar to yours. Bob

19. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I stole the idea off Jumps4, Jbolt, hoss and every where else I could find. I picked up a one shot oilier off Fleabay for about $40 shipped a bunch of 2mm & 6mm nylon tubing, a bag of straight & 45 degree push lock fittings, two brass manifolds with metering needles from China dirt cheep (I be a cheeeeeepscate) If you need I could go on Fleabay and get the list of suppliers. some builders put check valves in line but so far I see no great need of them.
    It was a low budget solution and I would rather have to much oil than to little:aok:

20. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

here is what i bought off ebay except for the straight and 90s fittings
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Hand...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3b108a8f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Nylon...784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a441fc380

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Nylon...981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a37bd093d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-6-Way...499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8d3d6a2b

also made a mistake on tubing in last post it was 6mm & 4mm not 2mm

bpratl likes this.
  21. bpratl

City:
    Gloucester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Bill, your great, thanks for the lube info, just ordered the 4 items for $85.00 shipped. You saved me a lot of web time, much appreciated. I finished converting my Grizzly G0602 to CNC and now I'm in the process of converting my G0619 to CNC. The mill is at the right point for the oiling system. Bob

22. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

One thing I have found with the one-shot oil system is that the line bleed out the lowest point. On my machine that is the Y ball nuts. To solve this I installed check valves on each outlet of the manifold. http://www.pneumadyne.com/check-valves-c-1_2_52-l-en.html

Another Issue I had was getting oil evenly to all the ports, specifically the Z dovetail and ball nut. A lot of people use valves on each line to meter the flow. I didn't want to deal with setting up and tuning 12 valves so I added a second pump for the Z only.

Jay

23. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Glad I could help, you will need to round up your push on fittings and check valves if you chose to use them, (see jbolts post above for more info)
    Bill

24. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I probably will do that also but for now it will be what it is as I have a bunch of other fish to fry:(:p:D:grin:
    This is turning into more of a challange than I thought:bang head: BUT!!! I shall preserver:big grin:

25. bgraves

bgraves United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Manhattan Beach
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Where did you get the ball screws and mechanical parts?
    I have an older RF-45 and am interested in the conversion.

26. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

I got my ballscrews off Fleabay from http://stores.ebay.com/linearmotionbearings?_rdc=1 but do not opt for the free shipping as it will take forever and I made all my mounting parts including machined ends like the did on flash cut conversion.
    I just bought long not machined screws and put ends on separately, Hope I made it clear not to good at describing:bash computer:
    Just Google flash cut and look at video section on install on a Grizzly mill.;)
    Most all parts I have purchased has been from Flebay

27. bpratl

City:
    Gloucester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Thanks guys for oiler info, I just moved it from the "wish list" to the "to do list". Bob

bvd1940 likes this.
  28. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Well today & tomorrow will be no shop time, wind is gusting to 50+mph with dust for good measure:bawling: and tomorrow I go visit another member of the forum who has kindly offered me some Aluminum for my project :beer: and show me the resources he has available to him :aok:
    Bill

29. bvd1940

City:
    Blackfoot
    State:
    Idaho

-Return to Top-

Well it was a rewarding trip, I scored a piece of 6061 aluminum about 5 foo long by 6 inches shafting.
    This is hard to come by living out here in the desert so could not pass it up.
    Matt was kind enough to give me some aluminum flat bar which will come in handy on the conversion.
    Bill

30. bpratl

City:
    Gloucester
    State:
    Massachusetts

-Return to Top-

Good find, I never have enough or the right size of scrap metal; but I'm always on the lookout.

Quick question on the oiling system. What is the recommended oil and weight you guys use? Bob