Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

Good find, I never have enough or the right size of scrap metal; but I'm always on the lookout.

Quick question on the oiling system. What is the recommended oil and weight you guys use? Bob

I use 90 wt gear oil on my mill and lathe. Been using it for years and I like it because it's tacky and stays on the ways longer then regular oil. Probably should use way oil but I can run to the local auto parts store and get gear oil. I have to order way oil.

Tom S

Good find, I never have enough or the right size of scrap metal; but I'm always on the lookout.

Quick question on the oiling system. What is the recommended oil and weight you guys use? Bob

On my manual lathe I use non-detergent 30w motor oil or 30w machine oil. The motor oil with detergent has additives to suspend particles in the oil to help carry to the filter. Not good for machine tools.

On my CNC mill I use way oil from ENCO. Way oil has properties to help it cling to the ways and reduce stiction. Some say it is not necessary for the home shop. I'm not sure if ENCO still sells the generic branded oil or if it is just the Mobil Vactra way oil.

If not way oil I would use 30w non-detergent motor oil or regular 30w machine oil.

Jay

I was just informed the chain saw bar & chain oil is the same as Way Oil, can anyone confirm?
I may try it, since I have a full gallon of it, when I finish installing the pump oiling system.

I use way oil from Enco with free shipping, it lubes good and it is sticky (i think that would be the word)
Bill

I use 90 wt gear oil on my mill and lathe. Been using it for years and I like it because it's tacky and stays on the ways longer then regular oil. Probably should use way oil but I can run to the local auto parts store and get gear oil. I have to order way oil.

Tom S
Probably the same oil LOL I have just gotten lazy and its delivered to my door:aok:
Bill

No shop time today as I have to keep the wife happy and clean up storm damage (a downed tree) from the last wind storm.
It gave the excuse to work on the tractor that had not been started all winter.
Got that darn Russian olive tree drug over to the shop and cut into manageable chunks for burning.
Bill

Probably the same oil LOL I have just gotten lazy and its delivered to my door:aok:
Bill

I'm lazy too. I wait until I'm out of oil and I can't wait for the way oil delivery cycle.

Tom S

I stole the idea off Jumps4, Jbolt, hoss and every where else I could find. I picked up a one shot oilier off Fleabay for about $40 shipped a bunch of 2mm & 6mm nylon tubing, a bag of straight & 45 degree push lock fittings, two brass manifolds with metering needles from China dirt cheep (I be a cheeeeeepscate) If you need I could go on Fleabay and get the list of suppliers. some builders put check valves in line but so far I see no great need of them.
It was a low budget solution and I would rather have to much oil than to little:aok:
check valves for the Z is a must. I have a pool of oil on my floor from all of that oil flowing out my X and Y ways from the Z and very little oil was getting to the Z as a result despite the manifolds valve settings. also beware on those brass manifolds from China, the screws sometimes like to strip causing you other problems.

check valves for the Z is a must. I have a pool of oil on my floor from all of that oil flowing out my X and Y ways from the Z and very little oil was getting to the Z as a result despite the manifolds valve settings. also beware on those brass manifolds from China, the screws sometimes like to strip causing you other problems.
What type check valve you use on Z? The manifolds can be re taped for different fittings, I figure the price covered the brass involved.
I have one more smaller manifold for the Z axis that I will incorporate a check valve into.
Bill

What type check valve you use on Z? The manifolds can be re taped for different fittings, I figure the price covered the brass involved.
I have one more smaller manifold for the Z axis that I will incorporate a check valve into.
Bill
I cheated on the check valves, I saw a post over on cnczone so I have two smaller manifolds on order and I ordered these check valves to keep from having back flow troubles. the bijur will feed a 6mm Y split which will then feed the check valves and then the manifolds.

Back