Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

B

bvd1940

Forum Guest
Register Today
First I want to thank Jumps4 (Steve) for helping me get as far as I have, he is a good resource for any CNC conversions you might be considering to do.
Well I have my ball screws all installed and my one shot oilier hooked up. Jumps4 (Steve) wanted me to start a thread on the conversion and I have not taken any pic,s to this point but just recived my pkg from Wantai on Fleaybay with a 4 axis kit with 1600 oz in double shaft steppers, drivers, power supply's, breakout board, and cables, 6 micro switch's, 2 e stops switches, 3 motor plugs M/F, a box from my junk box to put the electrics in, a old laptop for the the PC control but I find out I need a PCMCIA plug on the laptop so I have to go shopping for a adapter, they have them available from what I see on flebay for about $15 which will be cheaper than getting a used desktop just for the plug in ability of the break out board.
I will try to keep this thread updated as best I can but but the build will go slowly as that is my only speed at 74 pushing 75yrs old.:eek 2:
Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.:anyone:
Is mach 3 the accsepted cnc program for operation or is there better options???:penny:
Bill

I look forward to following your build. As for Mach3. There might be others but Mach3 seems to be the most popular by a huge margin and the only one that I am familiar with for home built hobby use.

mach3 is the only one I can assist you with... LOL
Steve

Then I guess it will be mach 3, I have seen enough conversions that rate mach 3 the best and most used.
Bill

I had hand to hand combat with linux and cant get along with it with my 74 years of age LOL
Bill
hog wash, I actually detest windows in comparison. Too much BS to deal with. Ubuntu is not that hard to deal with, it also has many similarities to windows, more secure and I find it more practical to administer. But as the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks"

hog wash, I actually detest windows in comparison. Too much BS to deal with. Ubuntu is not that hard to deal with, it also has many similarities to windows, more secure and I find it more practical to administer. But as the old saying goes "different strokes for different folks"
If you read the post the way I intended it it was me being 74 years old trying to learn cad/cam mach 3 AND linux was the problem with it.:bawling:
I got tired of trying to find drivers that would work with Ubuntu and gave up.
I liked it EXCEPT for the problems finding drivers (I have no problem with drivers for windows) and they work always.:agree disagree:
I had Ubuntu on 3 different pcs and could only get one on line to the internet.
I would rather spend my time learning how to program with the CNC aspect that hunting the internet for programs that will work in Ubuntu. :bash computer:

Well a update (i guess) downloaded Mach 3 and looked it over. Ordered a PCMCIA to LPT card after checking if it would operate the equipment and the consensuses was it would. I find I have to shut a few things off on my laptop so I guess that is next.
Still waiting for a few parts to arrive yet then I guess I start testing the electrics. :chemist:

If you read the post the way I intended it it was me being 74 years old trying to learn cad/cam mach 3 AND linux was the problem with it.:bawling:
I got tired of trying to find drivers that would work with Ubuntu and gave up.
I liked it EXCEPT for the problems finding drivers (I have no problem with drivers for windows) and they work always.:agree disagree:
I had Ubuntu on 3 different pcs and could only get one on line to the internet.
I would rather spend my time learning how to program with the CNC aspect that hunting the internet for programs that will work in Ubuntu. :bash computer:
My "hog wash" comment is in reference to age. all limits of ones mental capacity are in their head (almost a pun, like the neurologist that told me my headaches were in my head.....).
I am curious how long ago you had the driver issue. Linux is a different animal, as most drivers are actually implemented at the kernel level and many of them are loaded as modules during bootup. It's possible that the hardware you were trying to support had zero support at that time. Linux Mint has a little more support for a lot of hardware. All of the hardware I installed on my mill had 100% support in Ubuntu Linux since it was mostly server grade hardware. The only dilemma I had was the touch screen. It works, but no second mouse click or multi-touch functionality. I've had to use a gesture app to fix the second click issue. otherwise no hunting around to fix anything. My internet issue is due to not being able to get a physical line out to my shop area, nothing to do with Linux.

Back