Wellllll I Guess I Am Going To Cnc My Enco 45 But Slowly

My "hog wash" comment is in reference to age. all limits of ones mental capacity are in their head (almost a pun, like the neurologist that told me my headaches were in my head.....).
I am curious how long ago you had the driver issue. Linux is a different animal, as most drivers are actually implemented at the kernel level and many of them are loaded as modules during bootup. It's possible that the hardware you were trying to support had zero support at that time. Linux Mint has a little more support for a lot of hardware. All of the hardware I installed on my mill had 100% support in Ubuntu Linux since it was mostly server grade hardware. The only dilemma I had was the touch screen. It works, but no second mouse click or multi-touch functionality. I've had to use a gesture app to fix the second click issue. otherwise no hunting around to fix anything. My internet issue is due to not being able to get a physical line out to my shop area, nothing to do with Linux.

Last year and gave up in the fall as I could not find printer drivers, internet connection and I tried Mint, and Ubuntu and spent many hours on there respective forums MANY HOURS!!! and will not get into that loop trying to make the operating system fit my PC (why reinvent the wheel) when now all I have to do is get Mach 3 to make my mill move the way I want.
As far as secure pc this old laptop wont be on the internet and will be stripped down to bare bones with NO bloat wear.
Just saying:anyone::agree disagree:

mach3 is the only one I can assist you with... LOL
Steve
Steve did you the same size steppers and drivers?
What gauge wire for the 4 stranded with shield?
I know you bought a roll of 18 gauge but was that for the steppers?
Cornfused:dunno:
I know dumb question:penny:

I used the 18ga shield wire on everything low voltage
the white black and green wires are 110v ac everything else is shielded wire
Steve

DSCF0222.JPG

There are a few of us that are, or have, copied Steve's conversion. It was thought out very well and the documentation was wonderful for a CNC newbie like me.

My build thread is in the Precision Mathews section of this forum if you are interested titled Taking the CNC Plunge. I watch all of the build threads so I can learn as much as possible. So I'll be watching yours on a daily basis. Good luck and have fun.

Tom S

I used the 18ga shield wire on everything low voltage
the white black and green wires are 110v ac everything else is shielded wire
Steve

View attachment 98187
I just made an offer on some 16/4 shielded to a seller on Fleabay I like heaver wire but if you can run yours on 18 gauge I guess it will be ok.
Old fart thinking bigger is better:bang head:

There are a few of us that are, or have, copied Steve's conversion. It was thought out very well and the documentation was wonderful for a CNC newbie like me.

My build thread is in the Precision Mathews section of this forum if you are interested titled Taking the CNC Plunge. I watch all of the build threads so I can learn as much as possible. So I'll be watching yours on a daily basis. Good luck and have fun.

Tom S
I have been watching every build I could find on similar mills soaking as much up as possible BUT hard to retain lol
Thanks
Bill

Bill, it looks like it is coming along great. I was looking at your photos and I would like some information on your oiling system as I have been looking or one similar to yours. Bob

Bill, it looks like it is coming along great. I was looking at your photos and I would like some information on your oiling system as I have been looking or one similar to yours. Bob
I stole the idea off Jumps4, Jbolt, hoss and every where else I could find. I picked up a one shot oilier off Fleabay for about $40 shipped a bunch of 2mm & 6mm nylon tubing, a bag of straight & 45 degree push lock fittings, two brass manifolds with metering needles from China dirt cheep (I be a cheeeeeepscate) If you need I could go on Fleabay and get the list of suppliers. some builders put check valves in line but so far I see no great need of them.
It was a low budget solution and I would rather have to much oil than to little:aok:

here is what i bought off ebay except for the straight and 90s fittings
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Hand...223?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3b108a8f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Nylon...784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a441fc380

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Nylon...981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a37bd093d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brass-6-Way...499?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a8d3d6a2b

also made a mistake on tubing in last post it was 6mm & 4mm not 2mm

Back