Westinghouse electric motor

According to "Ugly's Electrical References" handbook this is a compound-wound motor; F1,F2 are the shunt field leads; S1,S2 are the series field leads [& A1,A2 are the armature leads]. For constant speed connect the shunt field, F1 & F2, across the 115V DC power leads & connect the armature & series field windings in series with each other so that S1 connects to one side of the DC power, S2 to A1 & A2 connects to the other DC power lead. F1 & S1 should go to one DC power lead & A2 & F2 to the other. If the motor runs backwards reverse shunt field leads F1 & F2. If you want the motor reversible add a reversing switch between the power supply & the shunt field leads.

If you want to make the motor speed adjustable that will be a challenge unless you have a DC power supply with both a constant voltage output for the shunt field & a variable output for the armature & series field. If you change the voltage across all the motor windings together the speed won't change much because lowering the current in the series field & armature lowers the armature speed & lowering the current through the shunt field raises the speed at the same time & vice versa. I found a way to change compound-wound motor speed fed from a constant DC voltage supply that uses a 3-terminal rheostat, probably 100 ohms & rated at over 3 KW [full load motor amps squared X 100 ohms X 1.25 safety factor], which might be hard to find & pricey. I made a sketch of how to do this & scanned it but, when I tried to attach it, it was nowhere to be found although it's file's sitting on the desktop; probably a Linux-Windows issue. If you're interested in pursuing speed control with a rheostat send me a PM & I'll attach the drawing to an email.

I believe a KB electronics or Dayton type SCR controller would be able to run it, they usually have a fixed DC output tap for the field. A lot more practical and affordable than a huge rheostat!
Mark S.

Back