what could I use a shaper for...

Rangerjoe2

Active User
Registered
Well, what types of things can I use a shaper for and how big is big enough?

A shaper will help with fast material removal from blanks without having to do a bunch of milling or cutting with a bunch of different set-ups to get the excess material off and out of your way. I think a shaper speeds up a project a bunch too.

Bob

They're very useful for reclaiming scrap, big rusty odd shaped and knarly unidentified metal doesn't bother them much, and you can leave them to it.

But don't think they're just for rough stuff you can also do very fine work as well and get a very good finish, and of course they love slotting!

I have a 10" and may already be outgrowing it, a much bigger one would be really nice but space, power supply and running cost of bigger a motor may prevent that, I certainly wouldn't want a smaller one.

But be careful, steer clear if you're at all easily hypnotized..... :biggrin:

Bernard

We used to have a shaper at work. Forgot how much I loved running it. Their not real fast, but they sure are versatile. Plus they save a fortune on tooling. Just good old hss or cobalt tools is all ya need. We used to cut keyways, dovetails, long tapers,etc. It was a mechanical marvel to watch it run.

Thanks for the input guys. I am really hooked. Going to cruise Craigslist. ..

Good Man, that's the spirit! :thumbzup:

Bernard

Well, what types of things can I use a shaper for and how big is big enough?

I agree with what has already been said here. I have owned two shapers, an Atlas 7B, and a 20" John Steptoe. Sold the Steptoe just before I retired, as I don't have room for it in my home shop, but I still miss it. Still have the Atlas, and still use it often.

You can make big gnarly chips with it.:roflmao:

Back