What Did You Buy Today?

That wouldn't be waterproof, better to go with sheet roofing and keep the pull tabs as fish hooks.

I bought the house next door to use for storage. Then started using it for a workshop so built a good size barn out back to store stuff. Now they both have barely enough room to walk around in. And the big house is still full of stuff. I sold off the tractor, and implements, a few years ago when times got tight. But eventually replaced it when I needed one bad enough,

The only stuff I willingly let go of was the motorcycle and parts. Which I gave away. I cannot ride any more for physical reasons. The electrical, electronics, model trains, wood working, and metal working machines I look at carefully on a regular basis and don't see how I could let go of even one piece. It all would be useful for something. And still keep a sharp eye out for that something I still can use when it's at a price I'm willing to pay.

Am I a hoarder? If that is how it is defined, then yes, I am one. My father was a grown man in the depression of the 30's. He instilled the "hoarder" mindset in me before I ever started school. Which I didn't get very far, by the way. When he needed some esoteric something for what he was working on, he would go to the "stash" and dig around a little. And there it was!

I don't keep old news papers or cardboard boxes. Although I would if I did much painting. But I don't, except for the models. Everything I have stashed is metal, even to the copper buss bars and copper pipe. Never know when they will come in handy for whatever.

Although most of the electrical systems I learned how to work on are obsolete now. Even on ships and industrial cranes(bridge cranes) EC&M is out of business, has been for years. And the switch gear I know is no longer in use. Replaced with something safety rated... ... I'm glad I'm retired now, there's nothing left to work on.

A response that turned into a rant. Sorry for the time, guys. Have a good one.

Bill Hudson​

Ordered a new Hitachi WJ200-022F VFD for my lathe. I believe the forward contactor is about ready to crap out on me!

Bought 0-1"/25mm thread mic from Shars after reading Mikey mention it a couple of times. I'm sick of using 3-wires. Also bought a Mitutoyo 0-1" mic with ratchet thimble, 103-260. My Mit I've been using I bought used long time ago has been slipping. All should be here by Wednesday. Can't wait to try out the thread mic.

Bought a few hundred kilos of stuff from a foundry that is closing down. Most stuff had gone but the demo guys are selling whats left. Got a load of big drill bits (1”+), a heap of taps, a few dozen boxes of screws, a few hundred kilos of alloy and steel, coolant pump, etc. A lot of the tooling I didn’t really want but couldn’t let it go in the scrap bin. Ended up grabbing 3 huge Iscar face mills (new in box) out of the skip. Will go back tomorrow with a torch and poke around the darker areas

Attachments

• 326CAA4F-1E51-424C-87B4-54E51DEC4488.jpeg
    326CAA4F-1E51-424C-87B4-54E51DEC4488.jpeg
    54 KB · Views: 37
I went to a machine shop auction Saturday. The shop had closed at least fifteen years ago and sat unused since. Apparently the auction service didn't do a very good job of advertising; I found out about the auction two hours before it started. Luckily for me, it was only about 30 miles away.

I got a box with several hundred loose carbide inserts for $2. A used but very nice Criterion 3 inch boring head with a boring bar attached for $45. What looks to be a complete Dumont broaching set in a wooden case for $40. 64 5C collets with a rack for $25. I haven't done a complete inventory on the collets, but I know there are a couple of duplicates a a couple missing, but I think I got a good deal regardless.

There were two shelf units of tooling that nobody bid on. After they passed over them I talked to one of the people from the auction service and ended up buying both racks for $100 apiece. One rack was full of boring bars from about 1/4 x4 up to one that's about 1 3/4x18 or so. 50 boring bars in all. The other rack was drill bits on Morse tapers from 3/4 to over 2 inches, along with about 50 insert tool-holders, a pile of brazed carbide turning tools up to about 3/4x3/4, and another pile of used HSS turning tools.

I wish I'd had more money to spend. There were 4 large Polish-made lathes that didn't even get a $500 opening bid, a huge Polish horizontal/vertical mill, Brown and Sharpe vertical shaper, a shaft grinder and a surface grinder that didn't sell. A decent Bridgeport sold for $1300. Not a bad day.

Picking up a Bridgeport , a 12" by 4 ft Clausing lathe and an Atlas 12" x 4ft lathe this Saturday + whatever else I want . The machines are fully tooled . :encourage:

Bring the Clausing to my garage please. :grin:

There's this cute little gizmo for a drill motor that's an inverted countersink tool. Bought one for my brother and one for me. From China, rare but it does happen. Supposed to debur the end of a stud or bolt. Did a nice job in the adverts. We'll see when it gets here. I don't have a photo, will take one when I have it in hand.

Back