What Did You Buy Today?

I'm an expat Brit that grew up in the UK during the imperial/metric transition, lived in Australia/ NZ for a number of years (full metric) and now live in the US (mostly imperial). I'm very confused :)

I bet that if you don’t mind working in metric, second hand metric tooling is going to be cheap - as hardly anyone over there will want it. I know I’ve had some great bargains on metric mics (even with international shipping) purchased from eBay US.

very true, I've picked up some real metric bargains that's for sure

A metric Starrett? Isn't that god damn un-american, and probably treasonous? o_O:p
You do know your own armed forces use metric, right?

Actually, I'm not sure how pervasive metric is in the US military. I do know that all mapping and artillery/bombardment use meters and kilometres. Same for the navy, right?

How far does metric use go? Kilograms of potatoes for the mess hall?

Are veterans going to be the ones who finally get the USA to give up on archaic measures?

Craig

At least in the Army, anything involving projectiles is done in metric (except MOA, mills, and miliradians- that's all over the map). Troop movement and land navigation are done in kilometers and meters. Vehicles are mostly in inch measurements. Height, weight, and physical fitness distances are all imperial. Water consumption is in liters. Heat indices are in Fahrenheit. Fuel dispensing is in gallons. Time is in metric (24-hour clock). Bullsheet is measured in metric butt-tons.

I dunno. I lived in Europe for 10 years, I'm completely sold on metric. It doesn't take much adjustment and the math is easier. And bragging about what you're packing sounds so much cooler in millimeters.

You do know your own armed forces use metric, right?

Yup. Her Majesty’s Royal Navy, Airforce & Army are well versed in metric. (I’m not American, hence the sarcastic / leg pull comment. ;))

Considering how long ago the US started using decimal currency its surprising they havnt fully changed over by now.
Mind you the UK still uses miles per gallon.
We came to AUS in 84 and I went fully metric very easily I still cant get to grips with litres per 100 Klms, mpg means more to me. My wife still cant come to grips with meters or kilos though.
A couple of very interesting reads

Two 19watt Philips LED bulbs that go in lights over my lathe....wow are they nice and bright!

Cool running and each one is rated at around 130watt output.

Yeah, well, I figured since it was a woodworking machine, nobody would be that interested. I do have a couple of pics from the CL adverts; included below. If woodworking machinery were to be included in my holdings, I could chew up at least as many pages as I would for metal working machines. About the only thing lacking is a decent size shop, it's kinda crowded here. The big deal to me is that there's no plastic, except rollers & the like. Good ole USA steel.

View attachment 296045View attachment 296046View attachment 296047
Hard to pass on old American arn machinery.

A RANT; To rage, or not to rage, that is the question... Otherwise, off topic....

So, I got in today a "8 1/2'' WHATUMACALLIT CRAFTSMAN SCREW TYPE MEASURING BIT ". Cost more for shipping than the device. If you will look at the photo, it's obvious what it is. I already have 3 or 4, but for $2.25, how can I pass up a USA made tool. What bothers me the most, I think, is that when a fellow saw it, he suggested possibly a can opener. Is the entire country going stupid? A measuring tool? What is the country coming to? From the "metal working tools" portion of eBay. I have been raging all day, and locals lack of knowledge just add to that rage. I've known what this thing was since I was a child. And I'm not that old, not yet anyway. But if people keep pulling my blood pressure up, I may be. I have a generaly low opinion of eBay sellers, but "the man on the street" too. If I wasn't so opposed to it, I would just go out in the back yard, dig a hole, and lie down in it. Glad I don't have any kids.

Sorry to bother y'all, I'm just angry as hell.

Bill Hudson​

Back