What Did You Buy Today?

Thanks. I know what im getting already. Im getting a 9x12 grade B surface plate for my shop from my parents.

Edit: next weekend at the Cabin Fever i may splurge and get some stuff for myself as well bc of all of the vendors.

I got an older one for like 50$ and i have trouble with the stupid thing. It never wants to line the drill up correctly to grind it. Im faster doing it by hand. My eyes also are only a half a day shy of 29 years old though lol.
For more than forty years, I have reground my dull or chipped drills by hand. They work OK but is difficult to get the angles right and the flutes even by eye.

Last week, I bought a Drill Doctor 750X and it came in today. The first few drills I reground look great. Now, I'll have to set aside an afternoon to grind a bucket of drills.:grin:

How stupid I feel throwing away all of those drill bits…

I just watched a video of that tool in action… Added to my wishlist!!

Never throw them away. If it came down to it buddy send them to me and i would sharpen them for you for a little compensation of time of ofcourse

Shame, Shame, Shame on you, Sir. Drill steel has so many uses I can't even start listing.

There is a "caveat" about using a Drill Doctor that I'm not sure of the origin. The flutes that form a "twist" drill sometimes have a variable twist. Most drills in my shop are a consistant twist. But I do have some that are a fuzz above or below the "normal". The Drill Dr uses the flutes as an alignment reference. Those "odd" drills finish with a reversed cutting end or so sharp they would make a good knife.

I only have a few that won't sharpen properly. Most are set aside as steel stock as there are other "more normal" twist rates the same size. But there are a couple that I'm partial to. From the aircraft industry, they are long and of odd sizes. Those I just sharpen by hand, I don't have any choice in the matter. I suppose a grinder jig would work, but for the few that I have, not worth the money or space.

The end result is that I can give the Drill Dr very high marks for most "normal" drills. But there are some that will not sharpen. When you are aware of them and have set them aside, the Drill Dr pays for itself practically the first time it gets used.

Nice, looks similar to the Walker Turner I bought last week.

Looks like a recone job in the background....

JOhn
What size is that WT? This little one is 9". Yep a JBL 2245H for a customer , getting ready for Citation 1 preamp restore and then a Mac mc2105.

Ordered the VFD for the milling machine

DURApulse GS20 series AC general purpose drive, 230 VAC, 3hp with 1-phase input - GS21-23P0
DURApulse keypad mounting cable, 9.8ft/3m cable length - GS-CBL2-3L

Back