What Did You Buy Today?

Can somebody school me on that Thread Micrometer. I though the ones with the fixed anvils were only for comparing two threads? Not for actually measuring the thread diameter. Obviously that could still be helpful if you are trying to machine a match to a known thread. There are mics with interchangeable anvils also where you select an anvil for a range of threads? Seems to me there should be a reference thread bookmarked for each tool like this. i.e. everything you always wanted to know about Thread Micrometers.
Thread Micrometers are have anvils for specific pitches or pitch ranges. So if you are doing a lot of different ones, it can get expensive buying them.
One good thing is that most of us would be measuring threads in the 0-1" range. These mics have the same ranges as standard micrometers do.

Shame, Shame, Shame on you, Sir. Drill steel has so many uses I can't even start listing.

There is a "caveat" about using a Drill Doctor that I'm not sure of the origin. The flutes that form a "twist" drill sometimes have a variable twist. Most drills in my shop are a consistant twist. But I do have some that are a fuzz above or below the "normal". The Drill Dr uses the flutes as an alignment reference. Those "odd" drills finish with a reversed cutting end or so sharp they would make a good knife.

I only have a few that won't sharpen properly. Most are set aside as steel stock as there are other "more normal" twist rates the same size. But there are a couple that I'm partial to. From the aircraft industry, they are long and of odd sizes. Those I just sharpen by hand, I don't have any choice in the matter. I suppose a grinder jig would work, but for the few that I have, not worth the money or space.

The end result is that I can give the Drill Dr very high marks for most "normal" drills. But there are some that will not sharpen. When you are aware of them and have set them aside, the Drill Dr pays for itself practically the first time it gets used.

The 750X has t6he ability to correct for variations in twist and explains as to what is the desirable setting. I sharpened around 25 drills today, most of which I would classify as specialty. Drill Doctor states that the angle between the chisel tip and the cutting edge should be between 30º and 60º for a properly sharpened drill. Adjustments can be made in 10º increments.

Can somebody school me on that Thread Micrometer. I though the ones with the fixed anvils were only for comparing two threads? Not for actually measuring the thread diameter. Obviously that could still be helpful if you are trying to machine a match to a known thread. There are mics with interchangeable anvils also where you select an anvil for a range of threads? Seems to me there should be a reference thread bookmarked for each tool like this. i.e. everything you always wanted to know about Thread Micrometers.

I tested it on a 3/8-16 just to see what I was looking at and compared it to the machinery handbook. It was an old bolt that looked well made. It was a few thousandths under the minor diameter so I figured OK I can use this. I'll check again with some more bolts and threads to be sure. I have been using calipers so I figured this was an improvement!

I love the screw/thread pitch micrometers for single point threading. I have wires (3-wire method), triangles and the micrometers. Only use the mic's. Mine have the chart below in each of the cases.

By the way, the delta between the major diameter and the pitch diameter is constant for a given threads per inch. A 1/4-20 thread pitch diameter is 0.2175" which is 0.0325" under 0.25". A 1/2-20 thread pitch is 0.4675" or the same 0.0325" under 0.5". That comes in handy if you are doing a custom thread like a 1/4-16. In that case, take the delta on a 3/8-16 (0.375" - 0.3344" or 0.0406") thread and subtract that from 0.25" (0.25" - 0.0406" for a 1/4"-16 pitch diameter of 0.2094").

Bruce

1641516993897.png

Just my preference, I like these mechanical digital micrometers. I've got a couple 0-1" and 1"-2".
20201110_161139.jpg
20210205_091650.jpg

My turn to play, just picked up a 60 degree thread micrometer.
Not exactly a thread mic , just a pointed anvil mic . As stated above , the thread mics have interchangable anvils for different pitch threads . Still , these will get you close . Thread wires are also a cheap alternative .

I picked up a 1-ton Porta-Hoist fir $25 and a 2.5 ton pallet Jack (BT Lifter) for $150. Both are in very good condition. The hoist will attach to a large beam over the mill to lift my 12” rotary table. It’s getting too heavy for me. EE9CE1CD-6BB2-40EC-AB5A-5A1E42FE0ABC.jpeg

I picked up a 1-ton Porta-Hoist fir $25 and a 2.5 ton pallet Jack (BT Lifter) for $150. Both are in very good condition. The hoist will attach to a large beam over the mill to lift my 12” rotary table. It’s getting too heavy for me. View attachment 391167
wow, you were lifting a 12" rotary? that's gotta be north of 200lbs?

btw you suck on the porta hoist... nice buy... so was the pallet jack, but only $25 for the hoist...

The brown truck brought me a package this afternoon...

This was an ebay buy... I looked at it for a week, not sure if I wanted to take a chance on it or not, it looked a little rough...

View attachment 390892

It's a 9 inch Buck set-tru...

After unpacking, inspecting, and disassembling, I'm glad I took a chance. It is in very good condition internally and works very smoothly.

View attachment 390893

I bought it to put on one of my Hendeys... but it came with a backplate that fits my South Bend... decisions...

-Bear

I finished cleaning up this old rusty chuck this morning...

20220107_124943.jpg

Evaporust is a wonderful thing...

I have it mounted on the South Bend... I chucked up a piece of 1" stock and centered it, then chucked up a piece of 2 ½" stock... it repeated within about 0.002"... not too bad...

I have a piece of 9x3" cast iron ordered to make a backplate to fit the Hendey... I considered leaving this chuck on the SB, but I bought it for the Hendey, and I have a Rohm combination chuck for the SB already.

I finished cleaning up this old rusty chuck this morning...

View attachment 391263

Evaporust is a wonderful thing...

I have it mounted on the South Bend... I chucked up a piece of 1" stock and centered it, then chucked up a piece of 2 ½" stock... it repeated within about 0.002"... not too bad...

I have a piece of 9x3" cast iron ordered to make a backplate to fit the Hendey... I considered leaving this chuck on the SB, but I bought it for the Hendey, and I have a Rohm combination chuck for the SB already.
Dang! That looks brand new!!! Good work!

wow, you were lifting a 12" rotary? that's gotta be north of 200lbs?

btw you suck on the porta hoist... nice buy... so was the pallet jack, but only $25 for the hoist...
I’ve been looking for a hoist for a while and like you said, they’re expensive. This was a steal. My Troyke is 150lbs. Doable for me but it’s getting to be too much.

Back