What Do You Use To Draw/design Projects?

I used AutoCAD until the copy I had wouldn't load in my Windows 8 computer. I now use ProgeCAD, It's similar, but sometimes frustrating, it gets easily confused, (or so it seems.)

Since I started modeling up my designs in solidworks before going to the machines I have found there are less oops moments where I realise I should have done one operation before another. The whole extrude and cut mechanism in solidworks makes it feel like I am performing a trial run before hitting the workshop.

Being able to export as drawings with all dimensions is an added bonus.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

drafting table,sketch up. sharpie and whatever is near me.

but mostly in my head

Fusion 360, I'm really loving the interlinked design spaces.

I've been using Turbocad pro for years now.

A notebook of grid paper to get ideas out of my head and onto something more permanent. Once I've gone through some iterations there I start CADing. Ideas bounce back and forth between notebook and cad for a while. I can take the notebook anywhere and always have a record of the design process, calculations, and ideas for variations.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Please be specific....

Depending on the design or the available materials when the ideas strike. I use several approaches. Most of my ideation starts in my head. For personal simple projects I use anything from white space on printed matter to restroom paper towling. I like a good gel pen on soft media & #2 "kitchen" pencils with erasers for copier bond paper.
For cad I have Autocad Inventor light 2012. When I am documenting wiring schematics or ladder logic diagrams I use Office publisher.
Most of my sketches are 3D, some are exploded assembly-like diagrams.

I usually do as others have noted and sketch up what I need in a small notebook. For bigger projects requiring multiple parts I use AutoCad and/or another CAD program I have on my laptop.

Back