What is your must have shop tool??

jpfabricator

Active User
Registered
What is your most used or must have tool or accessories, that you have made, or purchased that make shop time easier, or more enjoyable??
Maby your idea can help other members!

My "helper" is a shop stool and a horse stall mat. The bar stool has served as everything from a saw horse to an assembly table! I got the horse mat from work, it was a freebie. Many "farm and ranch" stores sell them as pre cut, or by the foot off of a roll. You mite find them at your local feed stores also. I
havent had it down long, but it shur has helped to reduce foot and leg fatigue already!mat.jpg

mat.jpg

I have a couple pieces of plywood down in front of my lathe and mill. Easy to clean chips off of and keeps my feet from hurting.

I hadn't thought of the rubber mats as an essential shop tool, but you're right. I have the kind with holes all over them in front of three of my main machines, and pieces of conveyor belt out in the garage. Wouldn't be without them.

Although I do not have mats down I would have to agree with you guys.
My idea of my most important tool is my lighting. If you can't see correctly you can't do most all functions in the shop. Most of my lights are fluorescent but I have LED lights I madebuilt into the mill, over my mail workbench and have a lot of other LED ideas to come. One of the most important ones is definitely my magnifying light. The eys just aren't what they use to be.
Have a great day!
Ed

I need a space heater in the garage. LOL

DaveV

Interesting question but in my mind, it gets flipped around to "what is my least useful tool" because everything in the shop (except 1 thing) is purposeful. The one thing I have but has never been used is a large set of adjustable hand reamers from Harbor Freight. They have this big set of reamers ranging from about 3/8" to over an inch (if memory serves). I bought them because the box was damaged and were marked down to 45 bucks so, what the heck, I bought them. -Haven't used them once! Maybe some day...

Everything else in the shop was thoughtfully chosen and serves a good purpose. Aside from that, things go in spurts depending on the job and as I use the tools I find myself thinking "how could anyone live without this stuff ?"...

Ray

I'd have to say my shop build 2 X 72 belt grinder...I use this thing every day!belt grinder.JPG

belt grinder.JPG

I have to agree that the floor mats definitely help with fatigue, especially if you are on cold, hard concrete for long days. But I would have to say that eac67gt is spot on - most important "tool" in the shop is lighting. While the legs and back can get sore from lack of floor padding, the frustration level (and possible mistakes too) that arises from lack of good light is even worse!

I can't find a picture, but since I am in Louisiana, the most important tool in my shop may well be a window unit air conditioner. Not only does it keep the shop relatively comfortable as far as temperatures, it also removes plenty of moisture from the air giving me a fighting chance to keep things from rusting over almost instantly.

Harry

Back