What is your must have shop tool??

All this talk of heat and A/C... You're dead-on! My little 20K BTU blue-flame propane heater is what enables all my winter fun. I don't have A/C and that might have to change because last year, I was working in the shop while it was 103. I'm thinking a window would be nice too. Sometimes I feel like a shut-in.

Ray

All this talk of heat and A/C... ....................

I am so glad most of my machines are in my walk in basement. AC in the summer plus warm in the winter. Of course welding is done out of the house along with chop saw use but the comfort level in house is nice.

Lighting is important too. I was able to get some decent lighting for cheap at the local electrical supply. Used is fine for my use.

My shop is not as large as some and to me lighting, heat and air conditioning are the most important ancillary equipment in the shop, only the toosl are more important. I have a number of fluorescent lights in the ceiling as well as lighting at each machine. My heat is from a 4K electric hanging shop heater. The shop walls and ceiling are well insulated and is connected to the house which makes it very comfortable. At this point, I open the door to the house for air conditioning. I do have a 12k unit (brand new) I intend on inserting in the wall. When we built this addition I had it pre framed for the AC. If I have time I'll install it this summer, but only after I paint the house.

Right now the only other thing I need to address is mats for the floor. I agree with others this is a very important addition. In addition to comfort I also want the mats to reduce the wear to the floor paint. When I finished the basement addition I used an epoxy two part pant, while I like the paint I am have problem with the chips scratching the floor where I am standing wearing the paint down. Mats would be the only cure I can think of. The only problem is i will have to move the mats each time I was the floor. Oh well..

I gotta vote for floor mats. One I have 4x8 by 1 inch thick the kind with all those 3/4 holes all rubber
and when I caught the dropsie disease I simply pick up the mat and find that little screw.

Oh, I do have good lighting... Early this spring, I revamped the shop and installed about 8 ceiling lights to supplement the 3 or 4 I already had. -And I use spot lighting as needed but I always forget to turn-off the halogen lights on the lathe and mill. Man, those little buggers are expensive and hard to find.

I am so glad most of my machines are in my walk in basement. AC in the summer plus warm in the winter. Of course welding is done out of the house along with chop saw use but the comfort level in house is nice.

Lighting is important too. I was able to get some decent lighting for cheap at the local electrical supply. Used is fine for my use.

I think that good lighting and anti-fatique mats are good to have but I think the most important item in the shop is eye protection.

You can walk with a prosthetic leg
And you can chew with false teeth
But you can't see with a glass eye

Anybody know the medical reason why there is less fatigue working on mats vs. on concrete? On the surface one would think if your just standing there, concrete would be no different than standing on feathers. Reality of course is much different. I just never heard why this is the case.

I vote for good lighting. Poor lighting is a recipe for mistakes and not safe in my opinion.

-Matt

I can't say this is a proven answer but, standing on hard floors put much more impact on your feet every time you take a step. That sends shocks in your ankles, knees, hips etc and by the end of the day, you've taken thousands of steps and your joints get beat up. The pain sneaks up on you because it's gradual. Simple as that I tend to think. Also, on cold floors, the feet get cold on concrete but have insulation with mats. Cold feet are never any good for you.

Anybody know the medical reason why there is less fatigue working on mats vs. on concrete? On the surface one would think if your just standing there, concrete would be no different than standing on feathers. Reality of course is much different. I just never heard why this is the case.

I vote for good lighting. Poor lighting is a recipe for mistakes and not safe in my opinion.

-Matt

For me as a small eng mechanic, its my snap on 3/8 elec impact. I use that thing for everything! I run head bolts off, on pre torque blower housings, blades wheels you name it I use it. Ive had it about 3 yrs and its getting a new anvil on it right now and I miss it working here at the house till the season starts back up.

Oh and my seirus radio helps too!

I'd have to say my floor model drill press is my most used tool in the shop. I drill, sand, clamp, slot, and a few other things that they don't advertise that you can do. Back when I loaded my own ammo, I used the table on this tool to clamp all of my presses on. It was adjustable so I could get it to precisely the right height for my arm. It had a light that was just right. I've always had access to a drill press since I was old enough to operate one, and I wouldn't be without one in my shop now.

Back