What is your must have shop tool??

What do I use every time I enter the shop. The shop itself, while not exactly a tool, I would not be able to do any work at all without it.

I moved specifically to a place that would allow me to build my dream shop. That and high speed internet were about my only two requirements.

It keeps me warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It gives all my tools a place to live and stay safe.

My shop is my must have tool (box?).

000 - Workshop.jpg

Gary

000 - Workshop.jpg

Nice workshop Gary, in the uk we have gardens the size of postage stamps.
for me the best thing in the workshop would be heat! Im Looking out of the window onto a snowy scene, so just shivering thinking about working in the garage.! propane just smells. And I'm sure not too good for you!

Drill press - before I got a drill press making things was frustrating as I could not drill a straight hole.

Ok, not to be Cliche, but I think the most important tool in the shop is the one between your ears!
Spend a day in the shop without it and it might be a long time before you are able to return (if ever!).

All that being said; My shop (small 2 car garage) is a little bit of everything so its hard to pin it down.
I will throw in this little observation though...
I bought a new tool box not too long ago (HF 44": top and bottom).
And It seems everything is slower now. Not the tool boxes fault, its a huge improvement over what I had, and great bang for the buck! But I was soooo conditioned to how I had the old ones (5 of them) organized. It just seems I have to either think before opening a drawer... or I have to open three drawers before I find what I am looking for!

(maybe some magnetic pics for the front of the drawers for a while... LOL!)

To Daver's point - pegboard would be at the top of the list. Toolboxes are great, but a nicely displayed set of tools on pegboard makes the project move right along. The magnetic strips that go on the pegboard are a must too!

I always think every tool in my shop is a must have.. but without a place to store them or make things I would be in a hard spot. I agree with GaryK the shop itself is a must have. Heated and cooled even if I don't make anything, it is still nice just enjoy time in. But if I had to pick one tool I love and use the most it would be my metal lathe.

Garage Winter 4.jpg Gregs lathe.JPG

Given that the temperatures plummeted from 50 yesterday to 19 today, I'm back to thinking that the heater is pretty darn well appreciated.

Sadly though, I'm stuck in the office today and can't be in the shop right now. As a slight aside (but in keeping with the fact that I appreciate and take care of my tools) I keep the heater on in the garage 24x7 -but at reduced temperature while not in use. It's insulated and has smoke and CO detectors. I didn't like the additional expense of propane but I more disliked the heat/thaw cycle and resulting condensation when only heating while in use.

Ray

I think the most used tool in my shop is the dust collector.
If i didnt have her, i dont think i could work. My shop being an "indoor" deal, i have to keep clean, and my junk everywhere has to be a minimum.

Back