What Size Lathe To Grab 8.125" Plate?

madmodifier

Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I am making an adapter to mount a Bridgeport head on a famco mill column. I have 3 1" steel plates that I need to machine to make the adapter. I thought that my friends 12" Clausing was going to be able to do the job but I found that he did not have a 4 jaw and the 3 jaw would not grab it. Anyone know off hand what size chuck would be needed to grab a 8.125 dia? I am in the Mpls/St Paul MN area if anyone is interested in helping a fella out.

Thanks,
Ben

Hi All,

I am making an adapter to mount a Bridgeport head on a famco mill column. I have 3 1" steel plates that I need to machine to make the adapter. I thought that my friends 12" Clausing was going to be able to do the job but I found that he did not have a 4 jaw and the 3 jaw would not grab it. Anyone know off hand what size chuck would be needed to grab a 8.125 dia? I am in the Mpls/St Paul MN area if anyone is interested in helping a fella out.

Thanks,
Ben
Something like 10 inches would be good though a 8 inch chuck probably would also work. The lathe would need about 10 -12 inches of swing to be safe.

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

I can grab about 9inches or more with my 8inch 3jaw on my 12" atlas, turn the jaws to grip OD, hell I even grabbed 8 inches with my 6inch 4jaw, kinda sketchy but it held

I can grab about 9inches or more with my 8inch 3jaw on my 12" atlas, turn the jaws to grip OD, hell I even grabbed 8 inches with my 6inch 4jaw, kinda sketchy but it held
It sounds like your lathe would be able to handle it. Try a piece and go slow on the first one to be sure it holds. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

Might be an obvious question, but on the Clausing, you did use the correct jaw configuration for chucking an OD, right? I too believe it should be able to accommodate the workpiece under normal circumstances.

If these are burned out circles, be cautious about the condition of the edge as you chuck it.

Soft jaws on an 8" chuck will easily hold thin parts larger then the chuck itself, turn a shallow pocket in them and have at it.

12" aluminum pie jaws on an 8" chuck with an 8.063" X .080" deep pocket to hold the parts, less then 150.00 bucks per set of 3, can also be used for parts as small as 1/4" diameter but are most useful for thin large diameter parts. They are 1 1/2" thick so a 1" deep pocket on the ID or OD is possible.
Find them here http://monsterjaws.com/
allpiejaws_zpssfgli5lu.jpg

Might be an obvious question, but on the Clausing, you did use the correct jaw configuration for chucking an OD, right? I too believe it should be able to accommodate the workpiece under normal circumstances.

If these are burned out circles, be cautious about the condition of the edge as you chuck it.

Yes I did turn the jaws around to grab the OD.

Soft jaws on an 8" chuck will easily hold thin parts larger then the chuck itself, turn a shallow pocket in them and have at it.

12" aluminum pie jaws on an 8" chuck with an 8.063" X .080" deep pocket to hold the parts, less then 150.00 bucks per set of 3, can also be used for parts as small as 1/4" diameter but are most useful for thin large diameter parts. They are 1 1/2" thick so a 1" deep pocket on the ID or OD is possible.
Find them here http://monsterjaws.com/
allpiejaws_zpssfgli5lu.jpg

That is a possibility. Good info thanks!

Back