What Speed Buffer Motor To Get?

housedad

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I am looking to get a buffer motor. I've been reading and shopping quite a bit, and initially narrowed it down to a Grizzly G1061z 1hp 1725 rpm unit for $363. But, as providence would have it, a neighbor is selling a Baldor 333b 3/4hp 3600 rpm unit for $300 that he bought new less than a year ago and barely used.

I'm now kind of up in the air. In your opinions, which is better for a home garage doing occasional brass, aluminum, and gun work, the 3600 rpm or the 1800 rpm and why?

i'd lean to the baldor motor, they are hard to beat. he's offering it up a half price for $300
as far a polishing goes, 3600 rpm's and the right abrasive for the job will do quick work of things.

Yeah, I've noticed the HP reduction on the motors from China. It is really sad. However, the Grizzly unit is made in Taiwan and the motors that I have used from there are usually fairly strong.

I'm still leaning toward the 1800 rpm as it is (relatively) safer to use, but that price is so nice for the Baldor. I just don't know.. I hate wringin hands like this. It's because I've never done any polishing with machines of this type and the info on the net is actually limited (mostly for knives) or confusing.

I'm running a Eastwood professional buffer that has peak rpm of 3500 with a running rpm of 3450. Very pleased in all aspects.

I'd go with the Baldor; beefy motor with a better (horse) track record than Grizzly motors. And as mentioned above, you can always go to a smaller buffing wheel if you need to slow the surface feet per minute.

Bruce

If it was me I would look closely at the Baldor and purchase it if it is in good shape. Baldor makes very nice grinders and buffers. When you want to get that gleaming mirror polished surface, high SFPM is your friend.

When you say "buffing" do you mean cotton wheels loaded with abrasive material?

If so the faster the better as far a metal removal rates, this will rapidly make the parts to hot to hold by hand, some work holding solutions will be needed.

I once put a 60" long X 4" Dia. turned stainless part that required a #10 mirror finish in a large lathe. placed a large right angle grinder with a buffing wheel attached in the tool post, charged the wheel with the typical white compound block, then covered the entire length of the part with the same buffing compound. Turned it on, let the lathe feed at .020" IPR and went and ran another machine. I was quite surprised when the buffing wheel caught fire. The 10 finish was perfect however, there is a good deal of friction generated by abrasive buffing.

Back