Where could I have a pulley spline broached?

If you have a shaft the same size with the same spline. You could make a broach out of it. By milling or grinding steps in it.

Another way bore the hole to size then notch with an endmil and file square.

Making a broach form an identical spindle shaft sounds interesting and I'll add that to the list of possible solutions. Thank you.

Thats what makes these forums great...The great ideas from great members.

My first drill press was one of those Atlas machines with the same problem. Being in the garage business in those days I found a starter drive with the same spline and stripped it down and somehow attached it to the aluminum pulley. I didn't have a lathe so may have taken the pulley somewhere to have it machined out.
Nick

Thanks Nicky,

Every idea begats other ideas and yours helps as well.

Going over the problem in my mind this morning and after a quick jaunt out to the shop to place the pully where it goes I realize there are two issues.

If we look at my pic below we see the splines of the top of the spindle sticking up through that shaft....the lower part of the pulley bore fits that shaft and is held there with a set screw. The upper part of the pulley is splined and that's what drives everything. What I realized today is that the looseness is where the pulley mounts to that shaft.....and loose to the point that when you tighten the set screw it pulls the pulley to the side just enough to vibrate when running.

So having said all that, even though the splines are loose, I think the looseness of the pulley on that shaft is the bigger problem which might be easier to solve by boring and sleeving the lower bore unless I can find some "really" thin bushings.

Sorry to rattle on about this but I'd like to come up with a method that could be used to repair many other Atlas and Craftsman pulley's and not just mine as they all suffer the same issue. Plus....I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee....
:)

Kenwc,

Here are the parts that I have.

Pulley large is 5" dia
Pulley small is 1.75" dia

spline shaft od is .482
spline od is .625
Pulley id is .626 (outside spline)
Pulley id is .484

Not made by atlas. Some other company

Doesn't look the same

let me know

David

craftsman drill press 004.jpg craftsman drill press 003.jpg craftsman drill press 005.jpg

What you have there is the other type of drive setup where the upper "steel" sleeve is splined and does not depend on a soft alumimum splined pulley for drive. Its a much better design. It's on some Atlas models as well.

The pulleys themselves were not made by Atlas. I forget now the ame of the casting company.

I've considered in the past trying to adapt that setup to my press so if you're still going to part that machine out shoot me a PM and give me some info and I'll probably take some parts off your hands.

Thanks for the pics and info.

Ken

Back