Wiring A Simple Switch For A Lathe

oldschoolcane

Registered
Registered
Okay, so I have a simple electrical job to do but I am not very familiar with wiring. Have a small lathe, its supposed to be powered by a Sears Craftsman 1/3 hp motor. The motor already has a power cord, but no switch. How can I convert the motor over to a switch so that I can power it on and off? I already have the metal electrical box and the on/off switch. Can anyone offer any advice, I just want to get this done correctly.
Thanks,

Tim

The really simple way to do this is to put a heavy duty light switch in-line with the power cord. Don't use the ''silent switches'' Another option is to used a switched outlet, again a light switch and an outlet in the same box, then just plug the lathe into that. I do that with my little router table to control the router and the vacuum cleaner.

All the parts should be available at your local hardware store.

Another option is a power tool safety switch like this one.
http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

You might want to consider building the "safety switch" I designed a couple years ago, either as a hard-wired switch or as a switched outlet. It's kinda a DIY version of the Rockler switch that Jim Dawson posted a link to. Here's a PDF that shows how to build it.

A couple disclaimers ... 1) This switch scheme is only good for 120 (110, 115) volts, NOT 240. Should be perfectly fine for a ⅓ HP motor; 2) Unlike magnetic starters, the switch will NOT shut off whan power is interrupted. So ALWAYS be sure to turn it off before plugging in!

Best wishes!
- John

Attachments

• Safety Switch 1MB.pdf
    996.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
If the motor is reversible, you might want to hook up a drum switch so it can go both ways. Some lathe functions need that. It sounds like you want it as simple as possible, if so then just go with the advice already given above. A drum switch is more complicated to wire.

Hi Tim: Welcome to THM forums.
There are some good solutions above.
If you simply interrupt the black wire with the switch you bought.
This assumes your power cord has a three prong plug.
Switch.jpg
The black wire is power the white neutral and the yellow is ground in the above picture.
lk

LucknowKen's diagram is what you want. I would use rubber cord with stranded wire not solid core romex. The ground wire in the US is usually green not yellow. Note that the black "hot" wire is switched not the white "neutral" . If you are wiring a 3 prong plug the white wire is connected to the wider of the two flat blades and typically has a silver colored screw, the black wire is connected to the narrow flat blade which typically is brass colored (but sometimes black), the green ground wire is connected to the "U" shaped pin typically a green screw.

Thanks so much for all the ideas, I'll have to print this out and come to some decisions on this over the weekend as I really need to be able to use my lathe. Wish I was more familiar with this but I am not so I sure appreciate all the great advice.

Not that I haven't done it but I'd suggest against a light switch. They don't do well with motors. I've replaced a few that have burnt up.

Back