Workshop Flooring

I agree with the other folks here that concrete is the best, for all the reasons mentioned. In my shop I have a set of rubber anti-fatigue mats
where I spend a lot of time standing still. Well worth the cost.

Hi - and thank you all in advance for any advice. I've been a hobby woodworker for a while, and have always seemed to need metal odds and ends that I thought I should be able to make myself. I used a community metal shop for a while, but my hours and theirs were seldom in sync. I stumbled on the opportunity to purchase a near complete small metal shop - 9x20 lathe, X2 mill, small bandsaw, a bunch of stock, tools, and indicators - and am starting to set things up in my basement, in a room separate from the woodshop.

The part of the basement that I'll use is currently carpeted - a Berber with 3/8" padding on a cement floor. I found some heavy duty metal cabinet bases and a 1 3/4" wood bench top. I was hoping this would be stable on the carpet - a dresser with a TV and an old kitchen cabinet full of junk seem pretty solid. This bench, however, seems to move a little, at least without the weight of the lathe and mill. I don't know if adding the tools will allow the bench to "sink in", or if that is wishful thinking. I am reluctant to pull up the carpet (not sure how long we'll live here, and hate to give up the "finished basement"). I thought of cutting 2" or 3" holes in the carpet under the cabinet levelers, or of making some 3x3" metal plates with a few (3) 1/4" x 1" long slightly pointed screws poking through the carpet to the cement floor. I realize I'll also need some runners or other means of protecting the exposed carpet.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
David

David, I would cut the carpet and store it, same for the pad. When it comes time to move, then a carpet layer can replace the piece with a almost invisible seam. Probably less than a half day job to glue the seam and install the pad and carpet.
mike
mike

Back