WTF is Up With Argon?

MrWhoopee

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
With the needle down to about 300 psi, I decided to shop for argon for TIG welding. I called the two local suppliers in Redding, CA, one in Chico and one in Sacramento. Prices are for 80 cu ft. exchange

Airgas (Redding) $105.13
Shasta Welding (Redding) $82.44
MJB Welding (Chico) $56.69
Barnes Welding (Sacto) $41.41

I always knew that you had to watch gas suppliers, but this is ridiculous. Fortunately my wife has to go to Chico soon anyway, so....

My experience with Airgas is they want to discourage the casual/hobby crowd. If you can get a business account they are a bit more reasonable. I remember when I worked in Atlanta paying $3/liter for liquid nitrogen from airgas for my own use, but the contract price for my employer, DELIVERED, was $0.50/liter. Hmmmm

That 0.50/liter is likely based on a almost guaranteed monthly or yearly consumption. Still there is plenty of price inflation!
Pierre

I have never spent one penny at Airgas in my life, and I never will because of things like this.

I had a commercial account with air gas and they still price gouged. Glad I have a new source for gases.

i'm lucky to have Manteca Welding supply less than 2 miles for my shop, best price in my area for welding materials

i'm used to being shocked, i buy Tri-Mix (85%He, 10%Ar, 5% CO2) every year :mad:

Back